Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard some of you have yosh oval pipes on your old gixxers. Is this a total custom mod or is there a model that can be fitted?
I have a 87 1100 with an old yosh that comes out so short and low(sad). I love to fit a newer can such as an oval. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a problem with the round. It's just that the old yosh can is so short. On my model the outlet of the pipe is practically at the rear axle. I would like to bring it out and maybe a little higher at least.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '87 1100 came with V&H (round) system. I put the SS2R on to reduce noise and avoid unwanted attention. I used the original front sections and just got the SS2R for the first year listed for the 1100, I think it was for the '88. It fit fine but I may have made a special bracket to get it up higher than the supplied mount allowed. I'm working on a friend's thrashed '87 that has a homemade looking, 1 piece that sounds similar to the one you describe. This one is about 6" long, exits about at the passenger's foot peg and may as well be an amplifier because it is louder that some race systems. The round silencer from my old V&H system fit perfectly on this system (after cutting it just behind the collector). The only 'fabrication' required other than cutting the pipe was adding springs to keep the new rear slip-on section attached. If welding tabs on your old collector sound too difficult, just use a length of safety wire with loops on each end just long enough to be a bit wider than the system when stuffed between the pipes just ahead of the collector. Just hook the forward end of the (2) springs to the wire loop. The finished system is still louder than I prefer, but way quiter than what came on it.
Hope this was of some help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
d and d is a sexy exhaust.
As for the question i put a high pipe yosh rs-3 oval stainless pipe on mine.
The one that needs the 3 bolt flange to attach no slip on. As for changes to the engine carbs nothing was affected. Sounds much sweeter. Welded everything myself and i would suggest not to use the original header.
buy a hindle heaDER it will be louder, tHe original header has all these cross section venting inside which did something connection wise to the original exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts