Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

question about a Suzuki GS500

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  fettcols 
#1 ·
I can pick this bike up for probably 1500 maybe alittle less..........what can be done to it? I mean is there any kind of aftermarket support or would it be making me own stuff basically? I am startin to like the look of the street fighters more and more and figured for 1500 i could get in a little cheap. any input?

#2 ·
HI,

This bike is appently based on the gs850 engine, so there might be some bits there.

Also early on there was a gs400 that had a 4 valve head

I have heard that the cranks are a little fragile, when it comes to eninge mods but OK standard, perhaps that is why they are only 2 valve motors now

other then that I don't know much, except they are considered a good and underrated bike

Sounds like a fun project

#4 ·
They aren't a bad bike, just a little gutless at high RPM,s you can fit USD's easily enough, and a SV650 shock goes nearly straight in, You can ditch the airbox and fit K&N's and a jet kit and fit a decent exhaust for a bit more go.

If you like going round corners without sending up great sprays of sparks, ditch the centre stand and fit rearsets.

#5 ·
I have had 2 GS 500's. Did the pipe and jet kit on the first one it was a good setup.Someone stole #1. I did the AIRTECH plastic with clip-ons on GS #2. A little old lady took me out and killed the plastic, but i was riding it up until monday when it sputtered and i lost power. More than 13 years on that one. Very tough bike in my opinion.

What year are you thinking of getting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.