Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am acquiring a bike this week that has a Yoyodyne slipper. This will be new for me. I understand how it works and it's purpose. But, do I need to change my blipping technique at all? I know that I really don't need to blip with a slipper, but I suppose most still do? :scratch

Basically, is there a "correct" way to use a slipper clutch?

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
With the OEM slipper on the K6 600, I still blip, and use the slipper as a "backup" for a botched/rough/rushed downshift, which normally would upset the bike, but with the slipper it wont.

There may be "faster" ways to utilize it, but I cant get used to depending on it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
+1 on the blip.
It will also help the down shift smoothness and decrease your chances of hitting a false neutral.

Here is a good trick for the slipper but don't tell anyone.
When you are coming in very hot to a turn and you slam a LARGE down shift. Say 6th to 3rd the slipper is going to engage and allow a drag on the rear wheel. If you do this late enough you will be turning in the bike and the rear tire will be drifting out.
To bring the tire back into alignment, slowly come back onto the throttle to slowly speed up the spinning of the rear wheel. This will allow you to back it in and recover smoothly.
The first time you experience this it might scare you, but just a little throttle and you are saved.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
it isn't a slipper - its a back torque limiter ;)

That bugs me too. but mainly because n00bs think it "slips" going forward as well for some reason :wacko, or think it has an effect on drag racing/wheelies/ coffee house pimpin.

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
Here is a good trick for the slipper but don't tell anyone.
When you are coming in very hot to a turn and you slam a LARGE down shift. Say 6th to 3rd the slipper is going to engage and allow a drag on the rear wheel. If you do this late enough you will be turning in the bike and the rear tire will be drifting out.
To bring the tire back into alignment, slowly come back onto the throttle to slowly speed up the spinning of the rear wheel. This will allow you to back it in and recover smoothly.
The first time you experience this it might scare you, but just a little throttle and you are saved.
you can do the same without the slipper... just back the thang up!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
goodmatt78
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing