Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im new to riding and im pretty sure i want to start out on a gsxr600 to get the feel for everything. do u recommend any years or what. i was thinking like 2001 somewhere around there with the fuel injection but let me know what you think. thanks a lot

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
welcome to GDC club

as to answering your question. Please take your time and read all the sticky on this forum. Also, i would not suggest you start off on any R bike. Like it or leave it, it is for your own good.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
125,522 Posts
sounds like you're looking in the right spot... early 2K 600s are a good choice for a first bike. Safe riding.
+1 - while you *might* be ok with the engine power, the two big brake rotors with the 4-piston calipers will most likely put you on your ass first time you get into a situation where you have to brake harder than expected (car pulling out, gravel, animals on the road, etc.). Even worse so the rear brake because most of the bike's mass is transferred to the front when braking hard. GSX-R and other street legal race bikes have WAY to much braking power for learning riding...

Apart from that, bikes with full fairings are very expensive to bring back to mint condition if you drop them, even at low speed. One side ONLY is 1000$+ in plastics alone...

I second the GS500 or SV650

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Nice post SVS!!!!! I agree......

·
Registered
826 Posts
thanks to this site i got a gs500 for my first bike....and its the best bike ever!! when your riding you dont care what your bike looks like, you just have so much fun you dont even worry about that stuff. And it gives so much room for error....i have grabed a handful of front brake already and luckly the bike isnt crazy at braking or else i would have been flying around. trust me after you get an under powerd bike you will thank your self! stay away from a 600 or anything bigger....atleast ride a gs for the summer.....but dont just hop on a 600 you will die!

·
Registered
114 Posts
thanks to this site i got a gs500 for my first bike....and its the best bike ever!! when your riding you dont care what your bike looks like, you just have so much fun you dont even worry about that stuff. And it gives so much room for error....i have grabed a handful of front brake already and luckly the bike isnt crazy at braking or else i would have been flying around. trust me after you get an under powerd bike you will thank your self! stay away from a 600 or anything bigger....atleast ride a gs for the summer.....but dont just hop on a 600 you will die!
I don't totally agree with this
"just hop on a 600 you will die!"
but everyone here is trying to help you. i would suggest to really look at your driving habbits, if you like to speed, or have been in a few car accidents, then an R bike might not be for you. Your chances of seriously hurting or killing your self on an R type bike at any CC are far more greater then any other type of bike (these bikes are made to race not to learn). not to say you can't learn on one, my 1st bike is a GSXR600, and i have learned alot from it.

Here on this forum we can only show you the pros and cons, it's up to you to make the final decision. A decision that might have consequences that you might have live with for the rest of your life. The SV650 and GS500 are great bikes to start off with, and I suggest that, also I highly recommend taking the MSF course if not taken already, this course is very important and will most likely save your life one day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i took a safety class where we rode honda 250's for a few days that totaled 12 hours of range work. I recently bought my first bike and it is an 03 gsxr 600. I bought it a few days ago and have been riding it within my neighborhood to get a feel fo teh bike before i take it on any highways. I think the MSF class is a necessity to beginers, not only to teach you how to ride the correct way but also to ride safe. As far as your first bike im not a professional and the only input that i have is that i got a gsxr 600 and feel comfortable on it only after a few days

·
Registered
195 Posts
i took a safety class where we rode honda 250's for a few days that totaled 12 hours of range work. I recently bought my first bike and it is an 03 gsxr 600. I bought it a few days ago and have been riding it within my neighborhood to get a feel fo teh bike before i take it on any highways. I think the MSF class is a necessity to beginers, not only to teach you how to ride the correct way but also to ride safe. As far as your first bike im not a professional and the only input that i have is that i got a gsxr 600 and feel comfortable on it only after a few days
feeling comfortable riding in your neighborhood (even with the MSF course) and being skilled enough to make an emergency stop/swerve at 75+mph on a race-ready bike are two whole different levels. your right, your not a professional, but some people on this site are, so constructive advice should not be disregarded. please be honost with yourself about your own abilities people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.