Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Idiot (no offence guys) with cash can go out and buy a new bike but have you ever been out on a cruse night and seen 5 or 6 new Gixxer 1000's parked side by side and not laughed at them bragging about how much better thier 1000 is vs the one that looks just like it? Or how much better the R1 is than the GSXR100? Now I love Suzuki's but when the Pros can turn almost Identical lap times on the bikes I don't see what some Squid that comes out in 2000.00 worth of matching leather, boots and helmet can do. I rode the 90 1100 to a class I was teaching the other day and a bunch fo the students were gathered outside around a new 1000 and a 600 that were parked in the lot and the crowd shifted over and was complementing me on how nice the onl bike looked. The owner of the 1000 (in full matching leathers) looked like I had just ran over his puppy. He then tried to get the crowd back by telling them how much better his bike was. When I told him that most people could not use 100% of my "Old" bikes potential let alone 75% of his he got offended. I love to see a bike that someone has spent lots of time and sweat working on much more than the newest bike that someone justs takes to the shop and tells them "Here's some money bolt some carbon-look stuff on it, that will make it look cool". Well I think I've ranted on long enough.
Bones

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I like all Suzuki's bikes but I prefer the old skool. I don't see as many of the old bikes anymore and that makes them more appealing to me. I say everyone should get a new bike, that will just make mine more special.

·
Registered
99 Posts
get what your sayin BONES. i'm old school, the new stuff is nice and one day i'll get A 1000,I like A smooth peppy bike. old stuff wins out as you can see got two.I like stretched gs's drag bikes and sport. what you said about the leathers and carbon is so true. god help me the day I can't tune my carbs degree cams or know and find top dead center well i'm ranting to later!!!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I know how you feel...last summer I had the RG out and stopped at a gas station the "local youth" hang out at on their less than 2 year old sport bikes. They wouldn't have given it a second look after I topped it off but the rattle of the clutch got their attention. When I came out after paying I heard one of say (I'll paraphrase) "Dudes, this is THE original gixxer that started it all. Our bikes wouldn't exist if Suzuki hadn't wanted to race this bike." Of course he took a few more minutes to say it and there were a few more "dudes" in there but...he knew. And that made my day. Sure, there are a lot of riders out there that shouldn't be in the gene pool, but it's like that in anything. Any fool can buy a sculpture or painting if they have the money...but can they truely appreciate it for what it is when there's not an expert to tell them what they're looking at?

·
3,482 Posts
Posted by suzuki ltd:
I like all Suzuki's bikes but I prefer the old skool. I don't see as many of the old bikes anymore and that makes them more appealing to me. I say everyone should get a new bike, that will just make mine more special.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Amen. At the last motorcycle gathering I went to there were thousands of bikes, and I only found two oil coolers. One was trashed, and the other was an O.K. original only basically cared for. I didn't have mine running yet, and was a bit disapointed she wasn't with me. It did however get my friend to loan me his 916

·
Registered
364 Posts
over a year ago when I was on more modern machinery a guy at the local tyre shop had a beat up 85 750 which I looked upon with amusement. I was amazed when he informed me of it's light weight, as I had assumed(wrongly) all old bikes were basically heavy pigs. Then when I found myself near broke & bikeless my current 86 750 came up. Man it was funny to ride on that first test ride, but there was still something good about it I couldn't put my finger on it. Everywhere I've gone all sorts of people seem to take an interest in it (more than with my other newer bikes) which surprised me. Someone said to me 'nice slabside' I was thinking to myself WTF is he talkin about. I am slowly becoming educated and starting to like my bike more & more although it is blown up right now. Tomorrow is resurrection Day. feeling good about that too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I feel all of ya'(not like that you hairy pervs) I agree so whole heartedly. I love an Old cooler that is why I am selling my 97 1100 and buying another 86 model. I love the 86-88 models. Have you ever picked up a bare frame off the work bench? It wieghs nothing! At this point in my life I hate squids and posers but let's face it we all were at some time or another to some degree.(EVEN ME!) I Used to buy the newest "Best" thing every year.Now I don't see me riding anything else except maybe an old school 900rr.I looked at the 1000 and believe me I was tempted... but a GSXR without a perimeter frame? NO THANK YOU! I don't care how fast it is.When I get my "new to me" 86 750 I plan to remove the whole factory harness and replace ignition with Dyna 2000 and rewire everything clean as a whistle like a show car.send my seat to corbin to get recovered and stuffed, I can just see it now!.one of THe most fun things about having an Old school bike is having something break, and then knowing how to fix it by the side of the road, How many times has a squid run out of gas, and not had the slightest idea what happened to his shiny new 750? Can't you see him by the road on his cell phone to the dealer saying" my bike won't run". What do you mean it might be out of gas? I hear It sloshing around. RESERVE? What the fuck is that? I hate squids,rich boys, posers,college kids,punks that think they are cool cuz they work in a bar,Guys with new leathers that still look new 2 years from now, People who buy new leathers, not becuase their old ones are worn out but to match their new bike, Guys with unworn knee pucks,sidewinder on streetbikes especially stock bikes, I hate slip ons,people to cheap to pop for the jet kit after they buy the 200 dollar slip on, Metric cruisers with drag pipes,anything with the words harley davidson on it(be it clothes, bikes,tattoos,cars,trucks, etc.)I hate people who add up all the claimed HP gains from bolt ons and say that they are getting 200hp from a hayabusa that has never had an engine seal broken, I hate people that do 12" wheelies(unless they are in 3rd gear at 100+,I hate people who do 12" stoppies,I hate people who run cut slicks on the street but don't own a set of leathers,I hate people who take their bike to the track and then drink beer and watch the rest of us race, I hate people who put thier bike on the rev limiter just to see flames at the local hangout spot,To be honest I hate the local hang out spot, I hate carbon fiber part that glue on top of your regular parts WHY?, I hate people that paint thier windscreen to match thier bike WHY?, I REALlY HATE N.O.S. BOTTLES THAT ARE NOT HOOKED UP TO ANYTHING BUT A PURGE VALVE!, Hell I even hate myself for doing some of this same stupid shit at one time or another.........Boy I sure feel better! I think I'll go out side now and squash some bugs and shoot at the nieghbors cat with My BB gun then I will be totally relaxed. OH and BTW if anyone got offended by any of the things I said I hate you for being offended by my thoughts.....Finally I can sleep.

·
3,482 Posts
LOL.....man, you must have a huge squid population down there! I think you should buy an old Cadillac and mow all their bikes down at the next gathering

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well i sold my 89 gixxer 750 and bought a 1k..... Iknow ..i know ..i miss my oil cooler. Dont get me wrong i love my 1k but its just no oil cooler... So now i'm looking for another one...
Even if i don't ride it often i still want one ,.....I feel like something is missing with out it...
I just love the old schools.... My buddy just picked up a clean 90 ,,,,,,I guess i can drool over that ,,,atleast until i find me one

·
Registered
178 Posts
there is a big difference between putting a lot of bolt on garb on a new "showroom" bike, and sitting up all night putting in a piston kit, degreeing cams, syncing carbs, etc. i really enjoy my oil-cooler, more than i can say. i get a big, overwelming feeling when i go into my garage and i see those letters -GSXR 1100. i hope that my bike will be around when my son is old enough to ride and enjoy like i have! but to stick to the topic, new bikes will never compete with the old schools, because if you see one, you see ten that are all the same. wheres the fun in that!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Oil cooled good, new stuff okay...
Problem is that every squid can go by a gsxr 1000, or a 9??rr or an R1 but they focus is "looking cool" or going to the local hangout(I hte the hang out too) trying to pick up girls(something we have all done at some point) Mostly I hate all the squids I see on the latyest and greates finaced machinery. An anicdotal sp? squid moment, I had ventured to the local squid hang out about 2 years ago(a place called Busse woods by woodfield mall) and witnessed one of the most squidly things I have ever seen a group of idiots 2 or 3 guys were doing rolling burnouts one kid on a stock but stretched 93 ZX-7 one on a 900rr and the best was this moron on a Katana 1100 who whilest doing his burnout seized the motor and prmptly dumped the bike on topof himself, while his friend on the ZX-7 popped his rear tire, I laughed till my sides hurt.

-Karl

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I just bought a 01 1000, and I am trying to sell my 92 750. I don't want to sell the 750 but wife says it has to go. I get home from work after riding the 1000 and jump on the 750 for a quick spin. It is heavier by about a 100 pounds, it's not quite as smooth riding as the 1000. But Growing up riding nonsportbikes, The 750 seems more comfortable. And It always suprises me how much power that old thing has once you hit 6,500 RPMs.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have to agree with you guys i had and ol skool 11 and sold her
to get me a new 1k and like you all said you get alot more looks on the old school especially when you put all the time and effort to polish and clean etc,etc... and hopefully i can afford to get me another one soon kinda like my sunday driver hehe

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
There are also more practical advantages to the old bikes... I mean, if someone were to *give* me a gix 1K I'd be tickled pink to ride the thing... but for 1/4th the money, I've got a bike that's unusual, not as much of a target for thieves, makes *nearly* the same power as the new stuff, doesn't have the additional headache of dealing with coolant maintenence, is cheaper to insure, and never fails to bring a smile to my face. I sure hope that *someone* is taking good care of the new stuff though... in another 5-6 years when I'm ready to buy one of the water-cooled gixxers, I want to be able to find one that's been taken care of.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Hey, the GSXR1000 is one phenomenal bike. But since I'm bigger than the average bear, most of these beasts just do not fit. The old series cradle frames might fold your legs up on a long one, but man, you felt like something was there. Hell, I sit on the latest R1 and I'm counting sipes on the tire, let alone seeing the gauges.

When I finally turfed my fucking K100RS bmw, the oilers were gone, but these 'new' water pumpers were on the stands. Well, most important, they hadn't shrunk them down, it was still a cradle frame and it had the cross-eyed double headlight, not to mention a touch of SACS left over internally! March 1993, start of the best bike love affair ever!.

I think if I binned it or it was stolen I be seriously tempted to find a later edition 1100w and just start again. After all, the only two bikes that fit now are the 'busa and the ZX12R. Which makes for one choice, though a 'busa isn't really a GSXR!!!!! Sort of a super Katana like is letter designation suggests.

Love the old ones - respect the new ones. Can't get a woodie for something that doesn't have liners

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I have this buddy who just walked into a Suzuki dealer, threw a wad of cash at them and said "Give me a GSX-R1000, Put a new pot on it and while you’re at it I am board with my full leathers so give me a new set of Dainese as well." He used to ride a GSX-R 600 and would take it to the dealer to have the chain tensioned. The same guy spends €150.00 on knee sliders and only uses about 3cm's of his rear tyre. The knee sliders are about 2 years old and still do not have a single scratch on them. Now his 1000 is really quick and in a strait line down the Autobahn I don't stand a chance, But when we get to a twisty country road all I see is his new Head light way back in my 86 GSX-R1100's mirrors. Now I don't actually give a rat’s ass what this guy does with his money but throwing money at dealers just ups the price on everything and most of the dealers think that guys who actually know something about bikes are a waste of time. In short I am on the same wave length as the rest of you "Old School" Boys. My Bike also turns more heads than his common as pig shit bike and the guys who recognise the old Gixxers are usually good to talk to.

Money cannot buy talent.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"them bragging about how much better thier 1000 is vs the one that looks just like it? Or how much better the R1 is than the GSXR100?"

Unless you do all the mods yourself. You cant say shit ..............

GregW

1 - 20 of 27 Posts