Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1987 GSXR1100
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kinda taking a break getting little rest, but now I'm bored. Started building this thing about a week ago. Started with a bent up Honda 400 ex frame that had been rolled end over end and a neglected srad 750 engine. I've got a lot more to do but it is getting there. Pics are incoming.

· Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
I've been kinda taking a break getting little rest, but now I'm bored. Started building this thing about a week ago. Started with a bent up Honda 400 ex frame that had been rolled end over end and a neglected srad 750 engine. I've got a lot more to do but it is getting there. Pics are incoming.

Why is this posted in the Classifieds section?
Are you selling it?

· Super Moderator
12,925 Posts

Oh crap, I'm sorry thought it was where you posted non motorcycle stuff. No I'm not wanting to sale it, not yet anyway. Guess I need to figure just where I need to post it.
Thank you for the heads up

I'll move it for you.

· Premium Member
674 Posts
I rode a friend's 400 ex that had a cbr 600 motor implanted it was something else! Rode it around for a few minutes and never got it out of first gear, the wheelspin was crazy. Be prepared to buy more tires hahaha. I have no idea what size sprockets he had on it.

Reactions: No No

· Registered
1987 GSXR1100
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rode a friend's 400 ex that had a cbr 600 motor implanted it was something else! Rode it around for a few minutes and never got it out of first gear, the wheelspin was crazy. Be prepared to buy more tires hahaha. I have no idea what size sprockets he had on it.
I found a 40 tooth sprocket for the rear to replace the 36 and put a 13 tooth on the front. It had a 15 tooth on it to begin. Got sprockets lined up was going to put a roller on the swing arm last night and ran out of gas so I have to wait on that. Replaced the starter clutch cover with the right one. Someone replaced it with a later model that carried a smaller 2nd idler shaft and was missing the no. 1 idler gear when I got it. Had to figure out that on my own, so I ordered all the shafts and gears used offline for a 97 that's when I figured out it had the wrong cover on it. Then bored the hole for the shaft larger. Now I have all the right parts.
hale that twin 2 sill 2 stroker was a monster, an SRAD engine.. 😮
Yes sir I hope so, I've got a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have searched here and online for hrs and can not figure out what goes to this hole in the starter clutch cover?
Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Automotive design Font
There is nothing that I can find on the back side between the starter and the cylinders. There's what looks to be a dow pin in the hole but it is wide open.

· Premium Member
8,062 Posts
I think just the mounting bolt goes thru there no? you can check ronayers microfiche or towards the very end of this video, torque em all tho unlike this chucklehead.. lol

honestly tho your cover looks funky compared to an SRAD crank cover, no timing inspection port, funky

· Registered
1987 GSXR1100
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yes sir, I don't know what exactly that one came from but it definitely wasn't the right one. It didn't have the upper gear or shaft in it, the fellow I got it from was using a drill with a socket to crank it. So he says he got it on a trade for his dirt bike. Looks like it might have came off a later model bike. I modified it so I could put the right guts in it but it didn't last long. Now have a 98 GSXR 600 cover and all the guts work, but I have that bolt hole in it with nothing to bolt to. So I cured the problem by running some threads in it and filling it with a short 8mm screw. I first I thought maybe the Dow was for a hose but there's not enough room for one to go on it. Anyways problem solved. Thank you for the response. I've been having to figure it out as I go. But it's almost over, all that's left is to build a stub for the shifter, mount for the dash, switch and put a roller on for the chain. Oh and graft on the GPZ 1100 front headlight mount along with a 750 seca light mounted bellow it. Might put some blinkers and a tail light on her. She runs really well, no smoke but loud as hell. The no. 2 carb float valve or needle has sealed off. The plate I made for the bottom of the tank along with the fuel hose barb fitting sealed up fine with a nylon carb inlet gasket. I used the end of a 3/8" ninety I cut off and tapped it deeper to tighten up against the nylon gasket on the inside of plate after working it down smooth.

· Registered
1987 GSXR1100
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

That was taken about 3 or 4 days ago. Since then I've got the shifter tacked on, made a different handle bar and mounted, modded the cable bracket and installed a couple of gsx600f cables, got everything pretty much wired,got a 89 or 90 GSXR 1100 G iirc seat mounted got the front brakes working, clutch working and shifted the transmission through the gears. Mounted a roller for the chain, mounted the dash panel and started figuring out how I am going to mount the headlights.

· Registered
1987 GSXR1100
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

This one is really ugly, I stretched the frame about 6" after cutting out the original frame. Top frame rails are a bent crash bar I pulled off a 2007 street glide. Used a couple of short sections of the original lower frame. Here I was figuring out where all the wires and hoses went. Ended up moving the motor to the right so the front sprocket would line up with the rear. I had planned on using the quads fuel tank and run pods on the carbs. I thought it would run better with the air box, so I ended up using the Gixxer tank.

· Registered
1987 GSXR1100
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally found a bigger rear sprocket for it, mounted a different shifter lever, added a low pressure fuel pump cleaned the carbs again. Took her for a little ride. Got a hose leaking oil been trying to find one now for a about a week. Fuel tank started leaking it's in pretty bad shape so I bought another one. Fuel tank came in yesterday just need to get it on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts