Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone rocking Q3's on the street, how many miles have you got out of them? I run the recommended 36-42 psi and have a little over 2k miles and the rear is nearing the end of it's life. Slight squaring from freeway commuting. I know they're not touring tires, but I was expecting a bit more than 2,200. Front still looks pretty good. I'm guessing to go through two rears per front.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
When it's time to change them I would switch to these https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/roadsport-2/

or these: https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/roadsmart-iii/

.....unless you track your bike, Q3's are overkill for the road.

I've used Q3+ on my 1000 and they were plenty capable of handling advanced trackday group pace with little drama....i.e. they are a waste for public street riding....at least if you are going to gripe they wear out too fast which it sounds like you are :D

When they're done on my 1000 I'm planning on going with those Roadsports to replace them since I don't track that bike much anymore.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm currently running SPORTMAX® GPR-300 on my K7 600. Only a few hundred miles on them right now, mostly freeway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it's time to change them I would switch to these https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/roadsport-2/

or these: https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/roadsmart-iii/

.....unless you track your bike, Q3's are overkill for the road.

I've used Q3+ on my 1000 and they were plenty capable of handling advanced trackday group pace with little drama....i.e. they are a waste for public street riding....at least if you are going to gripe they wear out too fast which it sounds like you are :D

When they're done on my 1000 I'm planning on going with those Roadsports to replace them since I don't track that bike much anymore.
Right on, thanks for the recommendation. I dig the grip of these things. I like to think I need it all but I probably don't lol. I do want to get back on the track soon though!

·
Super Moderator
14,990 Posts
Also look into the Pirelli Angel GTs. Plenty of grip for the street and probably three times the mileage you'll get out of those Q3s. I run them on my 1000 and have no problem leaning it over until (not just the rear) but the front strips are clean. There's a guy on youtube who almost got 10,000 miles out of an Angel GT rear on his CBR1000RR. His vids actually sold me on the tire since he also didn't have any issues leaning his bike over. Tire technology is excellent these days and the fastest street paced riders would be hard pressed to out ride a modern day sport touring tire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tire technology is excellent these days and the fastest street paced riders would be hard pressed to out ride a modern day sport touring tire.
I agree. I have put 2K miles on a set of Michelin Road 5s and love them. They offer knee-dragging grip on the edges and I hope to get 10K out of them. Would I take them to the track? Hell no, but they are more than adequate for the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also look into the Pirelli Angel GTs. Plenty of grip for the street and probably three times the mileage you'll get out of those Q3s. I run them on my 1000 and have no problem leaning it over until (not just the rear) but the front strips are clean. There's a guy on youtube who almost got 10,000 miles out of an Angel GT rear on his CBR1000RR. His vids actually sold me on the tire since he also didn't have any issues leaning his bike over. Tire technology is excellent these days and the fastest street paced riders would be hard pressed to out ride a modern day sport touring tire.
Thanks for the suggestion here Carnage. I'm thinking about my next set to order will be the Angel GTs

·
Registered
200 Posts
I see your point there. Lol

What I was trying to say is that they will perform very well at anywhere near legal speeds. But they are not designed for he prolonged heat of track use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see your point there. Lol

What I was trying to say is that they will perform very well at anywhere near legal speeds. But they are not designed for he prolonged heat of track use.
Can't say that I'm going "legal" speeds... lol

·
17,011 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Right on, thanks for the recommendation. I dig the grip of these things. I like to think I need it all but I probably don't lol. I do want to get back on the track soon though!

Everybody thinks they do until they have someone give them a tangible frame of reference to realize how underutilized their tires actually are, at least from an outright grip perspective. Like someone on sport touring tires on a sled like this dragging knee and elbow at the track.....I'd venture he's probably pushing those decidedly NON-sport tires much harder than you would on the street.

Dragging knee/elbow, hard parts and trail braking....that's a big ask of the tires all at once.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everybody thinks they do until they have someone give them a tangible frame of reference to realize how underutilized their tires actually are, at least from an outright grip perspective. Like someone on sport touring tires on a sled like this dragging knee and elbow at the track.....I'd venture he's probably pushing those decidedly NON-sport tires much harder than you would on the street.

Dragging knee/elbow, hard parts and trail braking....that's a big ask of the tires all at once.

That's badass right there

·
Registered
237 Posts
Can't identify those tires, anyone know what they are? Want to send that picture to my friend that will not do a trackday on anything but race DOTs.

Look like Bridgestones, but I can't find anything that looks like them.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Can't identify those tires, anyone know what they are? Want to send that picture to my friend that will not do a trackday on anything but race DOTs.

Look like Bridgestones, but I can't find anything that looks like them.

That particular picture I just looked up is from an Italian motorcycle website, the article was from back in 2007, so not quite modern day rubber on there. If I recall correctly it came with the old Dunlop D220 tires or something similar.

F 800 S la BMW che non ti aspetti

To be fair, I certainly wouldn't choose to run sport touring tires for a trackday, its not so much about outright grip, but more about better dealing with increased heat for a longer period. A sport touring tire is likely going to get overheated and greasy (assuming you're running above Novice group pace). But on the flip side, I have Dunlop NTEC slicks on my 600 that I'm only using for trackdays now (no more racing), and I'm strongly considering dropping down to the Q4s for trackday usage. They don't need warmers and will have plenty of grip for that application.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had Q3 and the Q3+ on the street. I got about 3k miles out of the Q3+ with a couple of trackdays. That said my next set of tires for any streetbike will be sport touring tires. Either pilot road 4 or 5. I've seen people claiming 8-11k miles

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had Q3 and the Q3+ on the street. I got about 3k miles out of the Q3+ with a couple of trackdays. That said my next set of tires for any streetbike will be sport touring tires. Either pilot road 4 or 5. I've seen people claiming 8-11k miles
Stay away from the 4s if you ride aggressively. You will tear the edges apart due to all of the siping. They went to more of a slick on the 5s for the last inch, I assume to prevent this. Anybody trying to use that part of the tire in the rain would be a fool.

I can easily vouch for that mileage on the Road 2s on a 600.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts