Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

At the risk of sounding like a bit of an idiot, what is the purpose of the air intakes (the two plastic hose type jobbies that protrude either side of the fuel tank. on the gsxr 750 wp. I can't see that they attach to the airbox so are they they to provide air cooling of some description. Reason I ask is because I am doing a naked build and they are ugly so I would like to be rid of them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They are meant to be designed so that they increase air intake, which means more power. The is 'meant' to be a 'Ram Air' effect with where they are placed on the bike, being at the front' so that as you go faster, more (in reality less negative) pressure is achieved, creating more power... how much this actually works, I'd like to think it has some positive impact in terms of performance, how much this actually matters to you... well that's subjective.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
I don't think that the WP has a pressurized airbox, as it was introduced later-on, with the SRAD models. That said, the intakes probably do serve a purpose, in that they allow the engine to draw air from the cooler region in front of the motorcycle, rather than the region around the engine and behind the radiator, which is probably going to be significantly hotter. Will the engine run? Sure, it probably will, but I'd expect it to run worse, especially given the fact that it's carburetted and can't adapt to the new conditions. I have a feeling that a significant portion of the running problems associated with old, carburetted bikes, is due to the accumulative effects of such modifications, where parts are discarded, since they "obviously" aren't necessary (and look bad).

·
Juvenile Thinker
293 Posts
The K bikes aren't anything like the older Ws' Their air intake scoops are actually routed into the air box directly. Not so on the Ws. The scoops are routed to above the cylinder head in negative space between the motor and tank. The air box draws from the back side under the battery tray...the scoops do zero for increasing air intake on these old bikes. The biggest issues with poorly running carbeurated bikes comes from the lack of knowledge on proper carb tuning more than anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts