Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

Hoping to call on some further wisdom from the much more experienced / knowledgeable persons here, in my last post, you all help me avoid a pretty worrisome where-by the seller stopped answer questions and just gave up.

I have narrowed my search down to three Gixxers, all exceptionally clean and slightly unique, I am an absolute sucker for the K4/K5 models and both of these bikes are beautiful, I am wanting to take the plunge.

Do you think these are good value and which would you go for given your experience? (750 K5 vs 1000 K4 vs 1000 K5)

I am moving on from my glorious SV1000S and am worried that Gixxer 1000 may be too much of a step up, that the 750 will be a more practical choice given the power, my experience level and mostly street riding and thus I have been searching for a suitable 750. I can't help but think for an extra $300 / $1K for the bigger bike may be best in the long run.

Thanks in advance for your time, I value the input very much.

GSX-R 750 K5 Anniversary Edition - USD 3,600 equiv. [17,000 miles]

GSX-R 1000 K4 Matt Mladin Replica - USD 3,900 equiv. [25,000 miles]

GSX-R 1000 Infamous K5 - USD 4,750 USD [22,000 miles]

·
Administrator
13,783 Posts
The 750 does literally 90% of what the 1000’s can.

I love the k3/4 1000’s that shape is probably my favourite of them all + comfortable for a super sport.

The k5/6 1000 is arguably the best bike Suzuki has ever made.

See which of those descriptions fit your needs the best

Reactions: what?

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
139 Posts
I have a 03 1000 and it’s the same color as the 04 you’re looking at. Awesome bike and bullet proof

·
Registered
168 Posts
The GSX-R750 could really do many of us a world of good. I had a couple of the earlier 750's and it really put a huge amount of confidence in my riding of sports type bikes and that was way back then so the later models just have to be better all-round. They are light and so easy to throw around and have lots of power when it comes down to it - more than a 600, less than 1000. Just why they are not more popular with the biking world is a mystery to me. I guess it all boils down to what people see on TV in the form of racing - 600's and 1000's, right.? I'm not sure just what sort of power the earlier GSX-R1000's make but they are very usable and noticeably more than the 750's. They are a single minded exercise in track racing, on the street..

I know you have a short list (K5 750 or K4/5 1000) but one thing I am dead sure of is that no matter which you choose, you'll sure as heck notice a leap upwards in every department from your SV1000. A handful of years ago I had a Honda VTR-1000, which is about equal to the SV1000, and when I got back on a 4 cylinder bike (even a CB900 Hornet at the time) the "get up and go" feeling was so much more than the "got up and gone" feeling of the V-twin, just no contest at all. Now I have the latest evolution GSX-R1000, which is even more track orientated and are very quick to turn in and have diabolically good handling, they're also so very damned quick and fast when the throttle is opened and are probably no bigger or even slightly smaller in physical size than the latest R750. You DO NOT have to use all the "get up and go" this bike has, if you don't want to. I can testify to that. I ride mine at only mildly lunatic levels at times but other than that, I simply use the road code - well at least my version of it anyway. This latest generation R1000 kind of seduces you to go fast so you have to be a little careful of your speed at times. Cops are also a great speed deterrent and a reminder to slow down other times when they are watching your speed on their little speed guns etc...
Good luck with your choice...!!!
Al

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi @MrGSXRAl ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, that was very helpful to read.

After my SV1000, I never really considered an R1000 and was pretty set on the R750 - after reading quite a bit about the more comfortable ride / not needing to ring it's neck like the R600 I started to consider it.

I am now consider all three, I have found a mint condition 1999 GSX-R 600 basically right out of the box, even has the original tyres.

Spoiled for choice, wish I could get them all. That all said, you are likely right with the 750. for my novice riding ability, the riding I would like to do and the fun to be had, the 750 is probably the sweet spot.

Kind regards,

Smile

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you're asking this question on these 3 bikes, you're not even in the game.

the K5/K6 1000- hands down, bar none.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Big loss. Look for another one?

Actually, that 750 would be a nice choice too. Maybe even over the K4 1000?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I think I am going to hold out for a clean K5/K6 and take my time with the beast, enjoy the slower learning curve.

I am such a sucker for the styling on the 1000 K4 - where old and new collide. It is an Mladin Replica and he has just been snagged for some horrific kiddie things, so maybe a bad omen to buy one of his replica bikes haha

·
Registered
863 Posts
The k4 and K5 1000 may be a bit more of a handful up top, but you're gonna be asking where the midrange is on that 750 if you stepped off an SV1000
If there's one thing I fell in love with with my K5 1000, coming off 750s after 15 years, it's that thick midrange, it makes riding a lot less "hurried" if you catch my drift,
since I have this excess power in the lower regions when I need it, instead of keeping the RPMs running
and I'm certain it spoiled me for any (4cyl) lower CC bikes in the (hopefully distant) future

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since the k5 is sold I would go with the k4 if it was me. One of the best bikes ever made imo, and its rare these days to find a clean one. Check out stunt freaks vid on the k/3 k/4.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,054 Posts
Here’s my 03 . Can you believe 160,000!
even though it’s worn , it’s still a blast to ride.

How much for the DeVille?

OP, if you're coming-off an SV1000 (and you haven't killed yourself), don't get a 750. You'll find you shift a lot more than you're used to.

Having owned the K4 and a couple of K6s, I recommend the K6 but I buy based on the condition of the bike, not what I 'want'. I'll take a clean / original K4 over a trashed K5-6. All are fun.

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
139 Posts

How much for the DeVille?

OP, if you're coming-off an SV1000 (and you haven't killed yourself), don't get a 750. You'll find you shift a lot more than you're used to.

Having owned the K4 and a couple of K6s, I recommend the K6 but I buy based on the condition of the bike, not what I 'want'. I'll take a clean / original K4 over a trashed K5-6. All are fun.
hahaha cad is a customers. People that own them love them like how we love our bikes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts