Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity i was wondering if anyone on here has punched out the cat on the stock slip on? Or drilled it or anything to help it flow better. Im thinking about taking mine off and getting a big punch to break up the cat to hold me over till i have some money to buy an r55. Good or bad idea?

·
Registered
65 Posts
i spent 2 hours splitting the case on my cat and ended up just throwing the whole damn thing away cause i saw how solidly built it was that it just wasnt worth the effort to me to make it happen.
there is no way you can just slam a pipe, bar, or air chisel in there and break the stuff up like on a car type cat.
your best bet is to wait and get aftermarket or follow the link in post #2.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Don't. You won't get more power, just erratic flow and a hell of a lot of work for it. Keep it stock until you get a proper, well-flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hacked up my cat and hated it. Just not what I was looking for. It time consuming and just not worth it. You can bypass the cat like the thread on the second post. I personally bought a slip-on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys i have a question i been wanting to ask for about a year now just couldnt find where. my bike is a 06 750 i took off the whole thing just left the headers and i bought a motogp shorty tip is like 12 inches and just put it on the headers no pipe no nothign str8 from the headers my bike sounds crazy but i just dont know i might be loosing alot of power in take off i have no idea what that can cause so any ideas thanks and excuse my english. thanks alot.

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey guys i have a question i been wanting to ask for about a year now just couldnt find where. my bike is a 06 750 i took off the whole thing just left the headers and i bought a motogp shorty tip is like 12 inches and just put it on the headers no pipe no nothign str8 from the headers my bike sounds crazy but i just dont know i might be loosing alot of power in take off i have no idea what that can cause so any ideas thanks and excuse my english. thanks alot.
Do you get a lot of backfire and popping? If so I would suggest getting a power commander and air filter if you don't have them already and get the bike mapped and dyno'd. And I'm guessing you removed the SET valve? and if so that's a huge debate on this site, some people say it dose and some say it don't loose low end power by removing it. I removed mine when putting on my pipe so cant say I noticed that specifically. Better air flows in and out of your motor the better, but I've also been told you do need some back pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you get a lot of backfire and popping? If so I would suggest getting a power commander and air filter if you don't have them already and get the bike mapped and dyno'd. And I'm guessing you removed the SET valve? and if so that's a huge debate on this site, some people say it dose and some say it don't loose low end power by removing it. I removed mine when putting on my pipe so cant say I noticed that specifically. Better air flows in and out of your motor the better, but I've also been told you do need some back pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have read some many posts on this subjuct and so many people have different opinions. I personaly am going to find out for myself next month. I have scheduled some time on a dyno machine to test some custom exhaust we are making for my bike and im going to see how much of a difference the dyno shows if any and set mod as well.

Its going to be a test and test day.:lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
I did what was done in the decond post. it took about 2 hours of time. I think the result is pretty good compaired to the stock exhuast with the cat. Besides, if you had the extra cash to buy a R-55 like I wanted to, you wouldn't be thinking about punching out the cat. So for $30 for the pipe and welding. I like the sounds and throttle response. May be suggested to run a PC and get it tuned due to possibility of running a little lean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts