Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a Puig windscreen. Every other day I change my mind from dark smoke to light smoke. I cant make up my freakin mind.

From what I read, you cant see through the dark smoke. Is this true? No visibility at all? I think the dark smoke will look much better but is not as functional as the light smoke....especially when I do a track day.

Can you guys give me your opinions with your experinences with either of the two?

Can anyone post pics of either of the windscreens to help me with my decision.

Thanks guys

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
first off, i'm not ever behind the screen to be looking through it, unless on the front/back straight at texas world speedway. other than that I could care less.

but i have the light smoke, because of the sexy gixxer "R" at the base of it. u can almost see it on my avatar

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first off, i'm not ever behind the screen to be looking through it, unless on the front/back straight at texas world speedway. other than that I could care less.

but i have the light smoke, because of the sexy gixxer "R" at the base of it. u can almost see it on my avatar
But what about when you are actually on the straight....what do you do then?

I guess I could just put on the clear for the track?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think it will be bad at all. I have the blue Puig, and I still have decent visibility during the day.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I can't imagine needing the dark smoke. Here is a couple of shots of my light smoke:

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
ya that a really nice pic.

but ya i tuck on the straights sure, but i doubt i do it so much (since its only a track day) that i'm so tucked I keep behind the windscreen. No telling what the dude i'm coming up on is going to to do at 165mph
Thats the truth too, welcome to Texas World Speedway - College Station, TX

·
Registered
145 Posts
IMO Dark smoke is going for looks really i had one on my 97 and it wasnt worth a damn at night I had to lean back to see under it to read my instrument cluster
I love the light smoke I think i just made up my mind thanks for the pics!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
not to highjack the post but does all the Puig Racing screens for the GSXR have the R logo? I just ordered one and didnt look dont know if they make different versions..hope not just ordered it from Oneida Suzuki!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a light smoke one looks great BUT!!! over 125mph it directs the wind right on my crash helmet making my head shake! very uncomfortable and annoying!!! going to get rid of it because of this. Never had this problem before with any other make of screen!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The PUIG dark smoke can barely be seen through but looks very nice on the bikes. I had one but sold it as when tucking behind it the visibility through it was quite dark (essentially impossible to see through at night). Dark smoke has a brown tint to it that looks black but under bright lights is a very dark brown. I was then debating between black (completely opaque but the stealthiest and sickest as it was all black) or light smoke (lighter than the dark smoke but still with a brownish tint and not much difference from clear). I then finally decided on clear as I like the race look (almost all pro racers use clear screens) and that is what I was going for on my bike, it provided the best all time of the day visibility, and it is the best for tracking. Hence, I use the clea rPUIG (although clear has the greatest magnification power and can melt your gauges, etc. if left out in the hot sun for a while easier than the tinted screens). The light smoke and the clear are the only PUIG screens with the R out of clear, light smoke, dark smoke, and black. Personally, I think the R is somewhat tacky as if that damn R is not plastered enough all over the bike and accessories as is, so just pick the PUIG that looks best to you or functions best for you (whichever you find more / most important). Later,

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the dark smoke. Went searching through some of my photos and found this...you see what its like looking through the screen from a distance.

Here is one from the front.

Pretty much can't see much looking through it when tucked down. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, I really appreciate everything. These responses were perfect. I think I will probably go with the light smoke. The functionality of the light smoke is the seller for me.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts