Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys im a rider with 1year experince and i was looking for pointers from you experienced riders... on high speed straightaways on the highway wind turbulence is scary to me at times... what is the proper way to fight against it im assuming countersteering against it but it comes so sudden sometimes i get suprised... where should i balance my weight and body to help stability?

thanks guys i appreciate any insight to build my confidence!

·
Registered
126 Posts
By turbulence, do you mean from other cars and trucks, i.e. Rigs? Or do you mean just wind gusts and normal buffeting? Either way, if you are at high speed, tuck and ride through it. If you stay calm and relaxed, the bike isn't going anywhere. It may feel like it is going to blow you right off of the road, but it won't. Most of the time, if you are in the right area of the lane, there is plenty of room to compensate easily against it. Rigs and such will push you around a bit, but don't let it freak you out. A little counter "steering" will work just fine. If it is just wind gusts, and they are really that strong, slow down to a point that you feel comfortable. If you feel like you are out of control, you are probably riding faster or in conditions that are above you ability. I don't mean to sound like I am talking down to you, but when you ride, above all you should feel comfortable and really a part of your bike.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
a tank slapper is when you can control the handle bars and it keeps on moving left to right which will cause it to hit the tank at times.

Always, again, relax and why are you going so fast anyways?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just chill out slow down and injoy the ride..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tankslappers usually happen when you get washboarded pavement, or the front and rear tires do not agree on which direction they want to go. Usually from going too fast for conditions. I have seen them when a tire crosses the paint stripe as well. If you are new and haven't experienced the limited traction of road paint yet, just be forewarned, it is slick as hell, and even worse in the rain. The normal reaction is to try to fight them, but that just makes them worse. Relax and the bikes physiometrics will "absorb" the motion.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
The best way to fight cross winds is not to fight it. Stay relaxed on the handle bars. Don't hold them tight with a death grip. Just use relaxed, moderate counter-steering to stay on course.
+1, With time and experience you don't even thing about it, wind, rigs, whatever, they just happen and your body naturally corrects for it. Kinda like... Well, your balancing the bike while your riding... You don't think about it, you just do it... Same thing... Until then though, just relax, don't concern yourself with it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.