Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Project finished. Please have a look. What\'s ya think?

I don't know how to put the pics on the forum so I hope the attachments work

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yup I don't know what I'm doing but the attachment work for me...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

last pic.

PS if anyone knows how I could put the pics so all can see with out the attachments, please let me know.

·
Registered
800 Posts

You do nice work! Where did you get the carb heat shield?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

yes nice i like the tail section on there. where you able to buy that heat sheild new or was that an old item you already had. i did notice yours currently has the exact rim set up i have hehe 1 pm on the back of that design and the stocker on the front. i have the front pm but it is getting polished again.

·
3,482 Posts

Cool looking:) What swingarm ya got on there? How much fabrication to get it to fit?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

I love the hand made fairing stay the paint looks nice It gives me inspiration. to finish my bike and get some riding done this season before its over. love it. I got that same starter clutch cover too. isn't it a race cover mine looks to be heavier than original.?
I CAN'T WAIT TO FINISH MY BIKE.!!!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'll write in a bit more detail about the bike when I'm not at work. I'm sure there will be some that don't care about the detail. Still, it has been other people's projects that gave me ideas. I've been buying the British Mag "Streetfighters" because the Brits love to modify GSXRs, and it helped me with part matching and advise until I came upon this site. Ooooops gotta go, supervisor is coming....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

What is on this bike:
Engine: 1216 cc Kit, 5 degree ignition advancer, 38mm Mikuni RS Carbs, Yosh duplex pipe (for a gsxr 750),1991 oil cooler with gsxr 750 oil lines (I believe), Yoshimura heat shield, K&N filters
Electronics: As you can see very little..., Beam head lights, LED tail lights, stock tach, stock CDI, Dyna coils.
Chassis: 1995 GSXR 1100 forks, Billet tripples, CBR 929 clip ons, 1999 GSXR 750 calipers, steel braded lines, 1988 master cylinder, stock frame (cut down), 1999 GSXR 750 subframe (cut down), stock swing arm (I think), PM Chicane rear wheel, 1993 Katana/Gsxr front wheel, NRC engine covers, FOX shock,
Bodywork: 1991 Gsxr 750 Endurance racing fiberglass upper/sides/lowers (not on yet), 1999 GSXR 750 tail section,

That is all I could think of off the top of my head. Many of these part already came with the bike, so I don't know where the heat shield came from. I'm not sure about the swing arm, but I'm pretty sure the past owner said it was stock 1100 part. I can still find out if someone wants to know. This is a budget project. The forks cost me $125, triples $130, Bodywork around $350, calipers $50, subframe $75, head lights $50, tail lights $45, CBR clip ons $15. I wish I could take the credit for the work but I do not have the equipment or the know how how to do it so the subframe and body work was fitted by Condor Racing here in Ontario. I just painted the bike and spent 1.5 years trying to track the parts down. Most were bought on ebay. I was always happy with the power of the bike, just never liked the look. After I crashed the bike twice last year and also hit a racoon 2 years ago, most of the bike was ready for an over haul anyway. I started to buy Streetfighters and Performance Bikes Mags for ideas. On the computer, I found a guy in Sweden that has a similar bike as this, and decided that is the look I want to achieve. I'm not going to kid myself and try to make it look like a GSXR 1000 K1,2,3or 4 but thought the frame could accept a 90's look. I had the shop weld the subframe on the original frame so that I don't have to spend time fiting the plastic to it also. With the proper subframe the 99 tail fitted perfectly.
In the next year or 2 the only thing I'd like to do to it is: fit the bottom plastic, get rid of this pipe and fit a Hindle, fit a gsxr 750 (1996-2004) front rim, upgrade the brakes.
I rode the bike for the first time today and noticed the handling diff right away. With the shorter forks it turns quicker and feels lighter. All the heavy pieces from the bike were tossed (ie pipe, bird cage, head lights, etc) so I think the weight of this bike is about 400-410 lbs. That is if the stock GSXR 1100 weighted in at 433 lbs.
The bike now weights as little as todays bikes (or close to it), handles very well and the power.....
Last year it was dynoed with 143 rwhp, so judge for yourself, that is enough. When is enough power? Never, right? But, I'm running at 143 RELIABLE hp and that's what counts to me. Yes, I could get easily another 10-15 hp out of it but what is going to go on me? Crank, rods?
So that is it, thank you all for looking, if any of you have questions don't hesitate to ask. Also thank you to all that helped me get my bike running a week ago. Last, if anyone is interested, I have some parts left over. 1985-88 tail light $20, 1991 gsxr tail light $20, 1988-1992 gsxr lowers and sides with stock paint all in very good cond. front and rear seats $25,...... I would be willing to trade for parts such as 1996-1999 gsxr 750 front master cylinder and remote reservoir, digital speedo,

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

i'll take tht pipe if you ever get rid of it thats what I've been aiming for. 75 dollars for a sub frame is impressive I'd like to know where you got it from. the one I've been trying to get runs like 200-300 bucks.!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

777 R U
If you want the pipe, I aim to buy the hindle this winter. The can is carbon fibre, which, to tell you the truth doesn't mean much to me. I'll be content with aluminum. I always liked the sound of the Hindle's and they made great power. To give you a heads up, this was the duplex system for the 750. It had little cans attached near the headers, which gave it more midrange power. As it made no difference on the 1100, I had the shop remove them, because they had an exchaust leak. Also, the headers will need new copper (I think they were copper) gaskets, as I feel a little air coming near where they meet the engine. If you are interested we will talk or I will contact you later. This pipe when new was around $1400 Can. It was repacked 2 years ago, last year I didn't ride due to accident. I think I could say that it would be a generous sale if I ask a couple of hundred dollars.....
As far as the subframe for a 99 gsxr, I'm shocked that you haven't seen any for similar price. I bought it on ebay. The prices I see all the time range from $65-$140! You have to buy when the riding season is over! Right now, all the guys are crashing theirs and are willing to pay top dollar for them to get back on the road.....Look for one in the fall....

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

Wow, looks really nice. ever think about tossing the heat sheild, or know where one is, let me know. Great looking Ride!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Guys,
As far as the heat shield is concerned, I don't think it would be too difficult to make one yourself. Car enthuziasts, make their own so all you'd have to do is go to a performance car store. All the shield consists of is flexiible plastic and the heat reflecting mat... Anyone out there made one and can give some advice?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hey Mackjack,
You ask" What's with the holes in the frame rails?"

that is where the trailer hooks up to. AND since this was an experimental US Military vehicle, it was also configured, to hold 2 SAW Machine Guns. The ammo was located in an oversize solo cowling.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts