Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem backing off the preload on my Ohlins shock. What's happening is on the hydraulic adjuster, there's a pin that locates the preload adjustment collar locking it in place. I can't get the pin out to move the collar and I don't even know if its supposed to come out. Anyone with an Ohlins shock on a Gixxer should know what I'm talking about. Can someone tell me how the hell I turn down my preload? I have the hydraulic adjuster backed all the way out and its still too stiff. (I'm only 150 pounds)

There's nothing at all in the manual about the pin. It just says to turn the collar to adjust preload

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I tried the same thing with my buddies shock. We came to the conclusion that you can't take the collar down or up for that matter. We even undid the hydrolic line thinking we could turn the collar that way but no luck. I think you have to have an Ohlins rep make the adjustment. Penske shocks are different but that doesn't do you any good. Special tools are required for the Ohlins. You're probably gonna need a different spring.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You need a spring compressor to remove the spring, then you can remove teh preload adjuster and move the lock collars up the shock body. The pin does not come out of the adjuster.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seriously? man...the only spring compressor I can get is the one you rent at Canadian Tire and that thing will scratch the shit out of my spring...

why would they do that?

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
seriously? man...the only spring compressor I can get is the one you rent at Canadian Tire and that thing will scratch the shit out of my spring...

why would they do that?
Why not use a ratchet strap? rap one side on the lower part and the hook on the spring.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Any good suspension shop will have one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts