Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pro \'s and Con\'s of K&N Stage 3 Jet Kit

You guys of been great with your advice But being I have to keep pulling these carbs in out out Iam beginning to loose my temp. So Iam going with the stage 3. Individual filters. Everyone I ride with have or has used the k&n jet kit. And said it is good as gold. What's the pro's and Cons of street driveablity or are they all pro's. Thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Re: Pro \'s and Con\'s of K&N Stage 3 Jet Kit

I've used the Dynojet/K&N stuff before, and I just got through with my first Factory Pro/BMC jet kit stage III installation, and I would use either one again. The BMC filters are as good (as far as I can tell) as the K&N's and they're a lot cheaper... as for the kits themselves, the dynojet stuff replaces Mikuni parts(jets and emulsion tubes) with Dynojet parts... I bought the Factory Pro jet kit over the dynojet kit for my 1100 because I wanted to keep the Mikuni stuff in my carbs. Stage III on the 1100's with 36mm carbs doesn't sacrifice driveability at all, and I can attest first-hand to the improvement in throttle response (once the kit is set up right... the dynojet stuff takes just as much time and fiddling as the Factory Pro kit) ANYway, removing the airbox *definitely* makes getting the carbs out and back in a lot easier, I wouldn't want to use a stage I kit just because I hate trying to fight the airbox... and with our older tech and smallish carbs, it doesn't hurt driveability and throttle response like the stage III kits for the newer bikes. I should have dyno results tomorrow (the dyno was full-up today) for mine; I'll let you know exactly what I got outta the whole thing.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Go with the "stage 3" all the way. Most Yoshi exhausts flow a lot of air and that airbox is restricting. (I'll probably get some slack for that but so what) Foam type filters are good but I'm not sure if they'll last for endless years like I know the K&N's do. As for driveability you should lose zero and gain much, all over the powerband(it'll even sound better), especially higher end.
You might want to try this before shelling out another 100+ bucks on another complete jet kit: you've already got a Factory kit but the jets are too small right? And those needles work-with/fit-in the stock emulsion tubes. If so, take one of those needles and hold it up next to a stock needle, If the grooves on the Factory needle can make it shorter than the stock one with no grooves then Factory probably was on to something (proper taper, length etc.). Put the clip on the recommended groove, keep your float level the same and just get some larger main jets! (they're only <$3ea. and when the parts guy asks you what kind, tell him Mikuni, round, mains) Then take a sawsall to your airbox, slap on some K&N's and go. If it doesn't work, but I'm pretty sure it will, you're only out ten more bucks and one more carb R&R + you'll have another set to use on something else, maybe.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I have a 92 750 with dynojet stage 3 and k&n filters and full yosh pipe . It made sutch a big difforence when i did the mods i dident think it was my bike . throttle responce was better power was better over the whole power range . my opinion go with the dynojet stage 3 and the filter of your choice . take your time , do a good job and you wont belive the difforence.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Glad to hear all the good feedback. Iam going with the vance ssr-2 full exhaust now. I heard my buddies and loved it. The fit was perfect. Can anyone tell me what sizes they used on there 1100 as far as all the jets and clip height? (For a K&n Kit)? I should receive the kit next week I will let you know how it goes. I ll try to post pics if I can figure it out

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Glad to hear all the good feedback. Iam going with the vance ssr-2 full exhaust now. I heard my buddies and loved it. The fit was perfect. Can anyone tell me what sizes they used on there 1100 as far as all the jets and clip height? (For a K&n Kit)? I should receive the kit next week I will let you know how it goes. I ll try to post pics if I can figure it out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts