Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does anyone else think that $1600 for a 1990 Katana 1100cc engine is too fucking expensive??? I just don't understand why these engines (oil-cooled suzuki 1100's) are so over priced. I know people use them in the mini-stockcars, but fuck!!! I can't believe that there are so few left that this is the best price I can find!!! I have been searching for a deal for nearly eight months straight here for my 7/11 and I just can't find jack shit...I am about to give up and resell the parts I have acquired for my rolling chasis. Anyone have some advice???

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My advice is be patient. I just bought a complete bike at christmas time (`89 gsxr-1100) for only $2100... the owner was in a jam and willing to negotiate for cash. The thing is *clean* and well-maintained (yes, that's the bike in my sig-pic). needs tires and a chain, and otherwise as perfect as can be expected for a 11 year-old bike. Keep an eye in the local trade rags, and newspapers... and be willing to wait.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
He's right be patient. I picked up an 89 750 engine for $150. Granted it need a little work but its still a good deal. Keep hecking ebay and keep you eyes open, you never know what you might find.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I know it's tough not fulfilling a time schedule but be patient. Used 1100's and Bandits show up around here from time to time. 1100 Kat's are a little rare, but they'd want less. That's if you're wanting a whole bike just to get the motor. I know a couple of guys that race sidecars and they're always in line first for used 1100/1200 oil cooled motors. The last one I heard they picked up was over in Iowa and they got it for $1600. If you are flexible and can travel look outside your area...you might get lucky.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Listen to the voices of experience dude...

BE PATIENT!!!

Don't rush out and buy the first thing thats offered to you. 1127's are getting rarer by the day, but there's still an awfull lot of junk out there that's been well abused. In the same way that there's a good number of well maintained bikes that can be had for not a lot of money.

My 90' 1100L is a prime example. I looked everywhere for the L model. I was offered seven K's but turned them down. Eventually, I found the one I have now. It had been sat in a dealers showroom for over a year as a trade in! It has a few miles on it, but it's as sweet today as it was when it came out of the factory (and then some!).

Happy huntin'

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello all,

Been a while since I have been here and now I am starting over.
The 1127 are hard to find as has been said above. I had a modded 88 Kat 1100 that I wish I never sold cause it would have been sweet to stick that motor in my modded 86 gsxr 750.

Damn those Kat 1100 motors have so much low end grunt somewhere around 78-79 ft/lbs torque which is pretty solid I say. Be patient but you will pay a pretty penny for a one of those motors

ghouly1100

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Don't you have the Bandit 1157 over there.
There are millions of them over here, the oil cooled motor lives on in the UK !!

Anyway mines an 1127K and it's fucking great

·
Registered
45 Posts
why are they expensive? they are the two wheeled equal of a hemi. one of the strongest engines out there with aftermarket hop ups galore (second only to harley, i would think) going dragracing? there's your engine. sprint cars? hill climbs? sidecar motorcycle? there you go. building a special? harris, spondon, martek frame sir? they look great due to the finning, so are in demand for streetfighters. also, i think the katana had a glossy black finish (nicer than gsxr) so custom builders like them for that. check e-bay, last i looked there was an 86 frame with engine that was still under $1000 (but not a katana, i know)

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I know of two '87 gsxr motors...$1200 and $1700 and an '92 1127 for $2400...but they're cheaper than modifying a 750 for more ponies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
I know of two '87 gsxr motors...$1200 and $1700 and an '92 1127 for $2400...but they're cheaper than modifying a 750 for more ponies.<hr></blockquote>

Would be interested in taking this offline:

Email me @ [email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts