Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals and everything else in between. I have an issue with a Honda Pressure washer I’ve been trying to figure out for a while now.

I know this is mostly us and Gixxer’s but I figured I’d ask anyhow since a lot of you all are going to have more mechanical knowledge than I do.

Issue, pressure washer will not start.

Starting steps for those that don’t know how to start one.

1. Hook up water hose and turn on full volume
2. Run water through pressure washer hose for 30seconds or more
3. Turn run mode to on, pull choke lever
4. Turn on fuel line
5. Pull cord and it should start/run

Steps I’ve taken since it won’t start/run...

1. Drained old fuel from tank, lines and carburetor
2. Replaced spark plug with a brand new NGk plug
3. Put in fresh ethanol free fuel
4. Followed steps for starting above. It started to run then shut off.

5. Turned off fuel, pulled the float bowl, removed jet and cleaned it.
6. Replaced jet and float bowl, turned on fuel and attempted to start. Just will not start...

Any other things I could check that you all can think of?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,709 Posts
I was about to ask if it was a Briggs & Stratton engine but Honda wouldn't be using one. Remove the spark plug, ground it against the cylinder head, and see if it sparks when you crank it. If it does, reinstall and try priming the engine to see if it will run briefly.

P.S. Cleaning your bike with a pressure washer is ill advised.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was about to ask if it was a Briggs & Stratton engine but Honda wouldn't be using one. Remove the spark plug, ground it against the cylinder head, and see if it sparks when you crank it. If it does, reinstall and try priming the engine to see if it will run briefly.

P.S. Cleaning your bike with a pressure washer is ill advised.
^^^:lmao for the pressure washer bike cleaning... Nah.. I need to finish my driveway and carport. Pressure washer died on me during use a couple of weeks ago and just now got around to tinkering around with it.

Sadly this engine does not have a primer bulb type thing. I was able to get it running for a few minutes just a bit ago.. Now it won’t start again..

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
Spray starter fluid in the air intake. If it starts and runs with starter fluid spraying, it’s obviously a fuel issue. If it still doesn’t run, then it is a spark issue.

·
7,709 Posts
+1 I was thinking in terms of putting a small amount of gas into the carb throat. The primer bulb involves the carb workings and that may be where your problem is. Also on small engines that have been sitting outside, I've seen the float bowl fill up with water. They won't run right until you get all the water out. I've never done it but I've seen people who I respect get a car engine running by spraying carb cleaner from a spray can into the intake while cranking.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help and ideas. Will try those out here again soon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was able to get it to start briefly with a bit of fuel/prime as suggested.. I decided to remove fuel from the lines, tank and carb. Will replace the fuel lines, and going to clean out the tank. The carb itself will be cleaned again as well, the jet had some more crap clogging it again. So hopefully after this good cleaning it will run right after that. Thanks for the pointers here :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You will have to look at the engine oil level. Because when its to low, there is a safety build in. If its to low it will not run.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will have to look at the engine oil level. Because when its to low, there is a safety build in. If its to low it will not run.
Nope engine oil is fine.. This all started from it shutting off on itself one day during use. Got it started again yesterday, then shut it off to finish working on something else real quick. Came back to finish the power washing job here (over an hour later), and it would not start again. When pulling the pull cable you can hear it attempting to start. Beginning to think that it’s flooding out in the carburetor for some reason even though it’s using the fuel (when running) and then fuel is shut off after shutting off the pressure washer. Haven’t tried to start it yet this morning

·
7,709 Posts
Years ago my brother's Honda Z50 wouldn't start after an extended period of storage. As I distantly recall, we could get it to run by priming it but it wouldn't stay running. We took the carb apart and I noticed that the bore of the main jet seemed to have deposits of some sort or another on it. I had some small drills and, turning the bits by hand, very carefully removed the stuff. Afterwards it ran fine.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
No problems with my pressure washer or generator but my wood chipper use to behave this way - especially on warm days and it has been running for a bit. Didn't give me any problems until year 3.

Dropped it off with my tech and called the manufacturer but it kept dying on me. Did what you did by tearing everything down and not finding anything.

What I discovered was that the gas cap was causing a vapor lock after the temps got up. Drilled a hole in it and it was fine afterwards. Have you tried to take the gas cap off to check if it would start?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I discovered was that the gas cap was causing a vapor lock after the temps got up. Drilled a hole in it and it was fine afterwards. Have you tried to take the gas cap off to check if it would start?
Never thought of that. Will try that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts