Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a power commander.
What would you guys use for street application.
the commander III USB or the commander III r.

going to be going on my 01 gix 1000. is there any benafit to me on the road with the R modle? or is the only advantage of that the ignition control for race fuel. and i won't be running any gas other than pump.

·
Registered
485 Posts
USB is latest-greatest. It has the accelerator pump feature. Other advantages, too. HOWEVER, the new ignition module will add another US$350- on TOP of the cost. Granted it will have a rev-limit feature.
Meanwhile the old IIIr has fuel and timing in one package. If you can get a good price it MIGHT be the way to go.
MIND you, ignition changes on these engines are not all over the map. I have + 1 degreee in a FEW places using race plugs, race gas (albeit 100 octane unleraded) and a dyno whose readouts I pour over.
With pump gas you will pick up a bit of hp taking 1 degree OUT at 80 & 100 from 9500 up. Is that enough to forego the accel pump of the USB. As the man says, you pays your money and takes your choice. For oval track racers the 650-700 dollar USB route seems excessive. For road racers (car and two wheel) the cost could be effective on those LONG straights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts