Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to do it for a while but i can only get it to lift around an inch of the ground. I'm usually riding around 6k rpm in 1st gear and twisting the throttle. How high do i need to rev?..

I saw a video by a forum member here who did a really nice powerwheelie on a 1990 model (Check out 1.30
) and the power difference between 1st gen and 1990 is not that big so it should work. What's the key to powerwheeling these old beasts, please share your
techniques :)

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
What's the key to powerwheeling these old beasts, please share your
techniques :)
The key to power wheelies is power lol
And please,don't ride around wheelying on the street it makes sportbike riders look bad. Find a industrial park thats isolated on the weekends and do it there

·
Registered
468 Posts
On 1100's you'll experience the opposite :D
As for 750's this is my recipe:

-A good, warm tarmac
-A good, warm rear tyre
-A correct sprocket ratio
-A working right wrist

Check 1'30"..he starts normally twisting the throttle 1/4-bit less than half, then there's a specific engine speed at which you have to open up wide..it depends mainly on sprockets ratios and rear shock settings but you realize it through experience.
I know it may sounds vague but you have to use your hearing and your butt together :biggrin
Anyway i won't run too much on a wheelie with these bikes..just a power little one to raise adrenaline

Read now it's about a 1st gen...well a little more difficult with slabby; despite lower weight, it's a matter of frame, weight distribution, last don't least rear tyre specs..those bikes tend to burn and drift rather then stand on rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
When my 86 still had the 750 motor in it, I could power it up in second without the clutch. Accelerate until the meaty part of the torque range, let off the throttle completely and then goose it all the way while lightly tugging on the bars. This should bring it up in 1st easily, bringing it up in the upper gears takes a little more technique/practice. :cheers

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Yeah, I don't know that wheelying a vintage bike is something I'd recommend. I used to wheelie my 85 GSXR all the time when it was new but it was new and I'd been riding dirt bikes and was really good at wheelying my GT-750 by the time I got the GSXR.

Like @Sacs says, first gen bikes are really light in the back end and the engine weight is pretty much perfect for keeping the front wheel planted. The other problem is that the balance point is close to vertical and it's really narrow so you pull it up and power along but you can go too far back (been there) or you drop the front end super hard because you never get it high enough.

I think if I wanted to wheelie a bike I'd get a motard bike of some sort. They're better suited to it.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
Get yourself a dirtbike and figure it out there. Mistakes cost less and hurt less.
Yep, those First Gens are getting damn hard to find spare parts for, especially bodywork. Would be a shame to ruin it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
SVS
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing