Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have these on their bike? I take my bike the track alot and was interested in their crash worthiness AND wanted to know if they got in the way of the kneedraggers out there? They look like your knees will hit them a bit.

http://www.powersbikeworx.com/railz.html

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lambo said:
i got them, havent installed them yet cause im getting my fairings painted.
You ride at the track or drag knee a lot??? Do they look like they might get in the way? When will you be putting them on and testing them? I am trying to decide between these or normal frame sliders.

Also, from what it looks like, there is no cutting of the fairings involved with the Railz is there???

Thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
on the k6 i dont think there is any cutting involved. no one ever said it got in their way while riding, but i've heard from taller riders 6'3+ that it rubs on their legs while standing still. from what people said. metal + floor = no good. i just got them for their looks. i dont do track days so it shouldnt really matter to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lambo said:
on the k6 i dont think there is any cutting involved. no one ever said it got in their way while riding, but i've heard from taller riders 6'3+ that it rubs on their legs while standing still. from what people said. metal + floor = no good. i just got them for their looks. i dont do track days so it shouldnt really matter to me.
Yeah I heard once that someone said while they were at stop lights it was an issue. I am 6 foot though. I'd be willing to deal with that issue anyway as long as it protected my bike more from crashes AND they didn't get in the way while riding.

What do you mean metal+floor=no good???

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
looks an awful lot like the ones I ordered for my 10, except these go over the fairing. looks like it would really get in the way of your leg though. fwiw I've seen multiple people swear by this design after crash testing them (on the 10 anyway, but same idea).

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
av_fan said:
I've never understood why those things are called race railz.
Clearly they are stunt railzzzzzzzzz.

I am no stunter but I've always admired the stunt cages. Surely a stunt cage wont work on the track but the Race Railz have what looks like the potential to be better than the plain ol frame sliders that's for sure. I just need to know if they will work with a kneedragger on board instead of a stunter or city rider. Just looking to make my bike a little more resilient to crashes.

Teknikscian said:
i wouldnt do a track day with those things. why not just buy some cheapo race plastics and some frame sliders instead?

I am buying and using aftermarket race plastics. But why not try to save them from damage if possible...or damage to the frame. Why not have a bike like the stunters; crash, pick it up, and keep riding???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
easter bunny said:
looks an awful lot like the ones I ordered for my 10, except these go over the fairing. looks like it would really get in the way of your leg though. fwiw I've seen multiple people swear by this design after crash testing them (on the 10 anyway, but same idea).
I have crash tested mine already at the track. The nice thing is that the race railz cover EXACTLY the place on my bike that sustained the most damage on my low side at 90mph. The typical frame slider (solid mounted or offset) wouldn't have even covered that area.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
To answer your kneedragging question, they don't get in the way at all. I have never come close to touching the rails when I hang off the seat on my canyon runs. Although I don't try to drag my knee on the streets, I don't think you would have any problem. Since I installed them, I don't even realize they're there unless I look at the side of the bike.

Regardless of what other people think, I like them and I believe they will provide extra protection. However, I'm also not looking to test how well they protect either!

·
Registered
208 Posts
i don't think they would ever touch the ground while riding unless crashing, have you ever seen frame sliders scraping from leaning too low? lol they were designed for the simple fact, stunt cage type devices aren't allowed on tracks. the race rails are legal on tracks.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Just some more junk to catch and flip the bike once it is sliding. Frame sliders aren't there to protect the plastic, they are there to protect the frame.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.