Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again to all. Thanks for previous help. I've been riding my bike for a while now. I started my book up after leaving work and it started, but barely. I took off and there goes that gas light. I get gas and then try to start her up and no dice. I happened to break down next to a harley shop. They gave me a jump and I was on my way. I rode for about 20 miles and came to a 4 way stop and the bike shut off on me. Keep in mind that before this, I had already stopped at maybe 4 lights in traffic on the way. She wouldn't crank up. So, I took the battery to Batteries Plus and they said the battery wast at 10 volts, but it was good because they were able to put a charge on it. So, I took the battery back and put it in the bike and she started right up. A bike shop recommended I put a new battery in my bike by saying that the current battery could have been so bad that it burned my stator a little. So, I bought a brand new batter, not from them of course. My problem is that no matter when I press my horn button, even right after I installed the brand new battery, the horn sounds very faint like there is not enought power. Now some persons told me it could be my charging system that has gone out. If my horn sounds faint after putting in a brand new battery, couldn't the problem be some kind of voltage regulator? After the guy at the harley jumped my bike, I attempted to put on my high beams, and when I did this my tach and speedo quickly took a nose dive in a counter-clockwise direction. Does anybody think my assumption is correct or incorrect. I havea 99 GSXR-750. Thanks.

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well you could have a bad charging system, with the bike not running and the key on, does the horn still sound faint? If so then i would look at the regulator. If it sounds fine then I would look at the charging system.

One other thing is to start the bike and read the volts at the batt with the bike running.. You should be over 13v.

John

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
if the battery is new, the horn shouldn't sound weak if the engine were off, unless the new battery is bad, the horn is on its way out, or you've got some bad wiring somewhere. i'd be inclined to suspect the latter two problems....the horn isn't really a good test, because over time they tend to deteriorate anyway.

instead, look at the headlights. when the motor's off, are they bright or very dim? if they're dim, you've got a bad connection somewhere (this is assuming the new battery is still close to fully charged - if something in your charging system isn't right and you've ridden the bike around in the meantime, the battery will end up discharging leaving you with dim headlights and you won't be any closer to finding out exactly what's wrong).

test things one step at a time, starting with the easiest things first. ignore the charging system for now - no sense in wasting time on that if the culprit is a bad connection in the wiring somewhere. start with a fully charged battery...once you've determined that the main wiring harness is okay (headlights and instrument panel are bright, etc.), then you can move on to the charging system.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had the same problem a while back new battery or not it will keep doing this. Its your charging system. I would almost garantee its just the regulator or should I say exspensive regulator. I had the same problem with the horn, tach, lights ect. I bought A new battery and cleaned all my connections ect. Look at EBAY you should find some there. If you buy used try to get them to sell you the rectofier with it. I would not even consider the stator unless the cover was cracked or you dropped your bike. Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts