Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to know when my "power ones"(street version) are too worn to use.
I am new to road racing(from mx background) and am worried I cant "feel" when they wanna let go.I am reasonably slow-ish, about 10 seconds off the pace of our top national riders(sponsored guys etc)
I read somewhere that you can ride these tyres till the "chords show" does that mean seeing the canvas??!!....
I have just worn past the far outer small rain sipes...txs for any help

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Only you can make that call, but the general consensus is when you have lost confidence in them, it is time to replace them.

Tires are cheap insurance, and cost a lot less than a crash.

Post up some pics of said tires.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
That tire has tons of life left in it!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TXS Anthony!! good to know...as I am new to road racing not so sure what you feel when it starts "getting tired".

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
You will feel it start to slide when you are coming out of a turn, and the front will push a little when entering a turn.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Its a shame they stopped making the Power One,such an awesome tire. :sad

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
The Cups are just as good if not better

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
That tire has less than Anthony May have let on IMO. A day or so tops. It's "fast" is already gone but yes if you are smooth they will work reasonably well till the cords show

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Its a shame they stopped making the Power One,such an awesome tire. :sad

But it wasn't though lol

All personal preference but they are my least favorite of all the tires I've ran, and I've ran all four brands in recent years

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
But it was ;)
For what I use it for that is,its the only street tire that dead hooks at the dragstrip on high HP bikes and lasts a LONG time as well.

Yes yes I know this is the Club Racer forum:p

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
:hide

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys! Motoj please just elaborate on "till the chords show"? dont want to mis-understand this figure of speech as a newbie road racer..Dont want to be in the fence for the sake of skimping on new tyres but also dont want to be wasting good rubber at my snail pace...lol Thanks again for all advice guys!!!

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
It means exactly what you think it means but it is a terrible idea.

The tire is capable of going pretty fast all the way down to the carcass. But once you get the initial "fast" out of the tire you are on borrowed time. Only you can answer how comfortable you are running a less than ideal tire.

Simple rule if thumb. Once it is in your head, change it. If your head doubts the tire it is dangerous anyway

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Motoj! very nice explanation... problem is whats "in my head" I realise is not always right!! thus all the questions..lol. I have had guys at track days passing me on sport touring tyres!! and then when behind them I get a bit faster all the time. I come from a mx background so not at all confident on tar yet but will get there. thanks again for helping me understand this tyre wearing thing, I'm learning all the time and very interesting!!

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Doesn't matter if your head is right or not. If you go diving off into turn one and you just "think" the tire is too worn to stick you will second guess and likely make a mistake that ultimately may cause you to crash. That's not to say the tire wasn't going to hold but your doubts made you rodeo the thing into the ground.

So when in doubt change the tire

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
7 Participants
Moto_Joe
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing