Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I increase the power output of my 1992 gixxer? So far I've mounted a Akrapovic full race system and a jet kit stage 1. I've heard about a wire that restricts the power in the lower gears. Is that true ? Thanks in advance! Lemmy

·
Registered
448 Posts
What you are asking about is a "wheelie wire" This wire in not on a 92 1100 as per Jeff (local guru), but it was on earlier 1100s. The "wheelie wire" restricts the power in 1st gear on earlier 1100s.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
let me shed some light. The infamous "wheelie" wire is a first gear retard on water pumping GSXR 1100's it is ofically noted in 94 but is on the first year water pumpers. BCJohn can tell you the exact location. As far as a performance increase, what are your goals more hp, better handling just plain old faster ? There are two basic ways to increase the performance of bikes, put money into the motor= more raw power and make the bike lighter= more money.
as far as motor: cams, flat slide carbs, head work, crank work, big bore kit etc..
lightness is a never ending can of worms
need a little more info to go on and we can help you better
-Karl

·
Registered
219 Posts
Getting rid of the air box for some individual fiters (like K&N's) and putting in some bigger jets than the stage ones (maybe like some 140-145's), might also do the trick.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
his profile says a 92 1100. And he's in Austria. Which in 750's would be a 93 American. I'm not sure if the 1100 lagged.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by 88/750:
Hey, those jet sizes would be for a 750. These are probably what you'd want depending on the carb sizes: 160-185. check out this website
http://www.dynojet.com

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3760.pdf

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3136.pdf
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK... does anyone know where I can order the dynojet parts? or do I hafta buy the whole kit to get them?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you can get jets at most any bike shop, but needles are tougher to get without buying a whole kit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for helping me. In fact what I am looking for is excellent acceleration. I'm not a good driver when the roads become twisty but I like the straights where I can open the throttle. I'm looking for more low-end and midrange power.
Can you adjust the jet-kit in a way that more power is produced in your favourite rpm range?
Thanks in advance!
Lemmy69

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
If your looking for better acceleration and more low to midrange grunt,why don't you just go up 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket.Or down 1 in the front?That might give you what you want and it won't cost much.If not,then you'll have to go into the engine and spend some cash.

·
3,476 Posts
I did my bolt on mods one at a time. The ignition advance was by far the biggest improvement. For my '88 1100 I got the best low and mid range dyno curve with a K&N filter in the stock airbox. As far as pipes go, I was told the Yoshimura duplex pipe is probably one of the best for low and mid range power.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Ragnar:
I did my bolt on mods one at a time. The ignition advance was by far the biggest improvement. For my '88 1100 I got the best low and mid range dyno curve with a K&N filter in the stock airbox. As far as pipes go, I was told the Yoshimura duplex pipe is probably one of the best for low and mid range power.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">On the ignition advance, did you just get one of the 5-degree advance rotors, or did you slot the mounting plate for the pickups a-la: http://www.gixxer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=26&t=000021&p= ? Has anyone done this mod?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
1 tooth down on the front sorts all of your acceleration issues for a very cheap price, be carefull though as the front might hit you in the face in second gear !

Acropovic is very free flowing and will work but dumo the airbox and throw some K&N filters with a stage 3 dyno jet kit

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again!
I'm not sure if the former owner of the bike has already skipped one tooth at the front. I've got to check that.
The problem with the individual K&N filters is that they are not street legal in our country. And you can believe me, the cops take every chance they can get to get hold of your license plate. The Akrapovic racing exhaust by the way is street legal because I went to the so called TÜV (technical inspection organisation)and paid a lot of money to get it legalized.
I think the ignition advancer is a good tip. I'm going to try this one out.

Drive carefully! This weekend two bikers were almost killed in my home town when a Volkswagen lost a wheel while driving. The wheel jumped across the road and slammed the two bikers off their seats. They were severely injured and brought to hospital, the bikes are scrap.

See ya!
Lemmy69

·
Registered
219 Posts
A set of flat slide carbuerators will get you some more power too.
I've got a set of 38mm Mikunis for sale w/filters, but I don't know how much shipping would be to europe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Jeff!
In Austria we've got 2 types of aftermarket products. Either they are "street legal"(having a so called EC plate on them) or they are not. If they are not legal you are not allowed to use them unless you can manage it to "make" them legal by going to the TÜV.
The TÜV then checks eg. the exhaust and you get a document which proves this.In order ot get it you have to pay.
In my home state laws are very strict,eg. you are not allowed to mount smaller winkers on your bike. So I had to go to another state(province) and get the document there.It does not matter in which province you get the document 'cause they are valid in every Austrian state.
Unfortunately there is no way of "legalizing" the individual filters. Don't ask me why.
A friend of mine has a gixxer1127 streetfighter, on which almost all parts have been exchanged. He paid 1200$ to get it legalized. But he had to remove the K&N filters.
That's how it is in Austria. I coul tell you storeis about those TÜV guys you would not believe!
See ya!
Lemmy69

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi 88/750
Thanks for your offer!
In my previous message I mentioned a friend of mine who has a streetfighter. He also had some flat slide carburetors mounted on his bike.As he told me he had various problems adjusting them. And believe me,this guy is a mechanic who knows what he's talking about. He said he had almost no power in the lower rpm range and suddenly at about 6.000 rpm power set in. He said this way of power development was too stressy. As I am not a good driver I think I would not be able to cope with that.
On the other hand shipping would be rather expensive and it would take a long time.
By the way, I used to work in a parcel delivery agency and I know how the guys work there. So I never wonder why most of the parcels look like as if a truck drove over them.
Thanks again for trying to help me!
See ya!
Lemmy69

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Lemmy69:
The problem with the individual K&N filters is that they are not street legal in our country. And you can believe me, the cops take every chance they can get to get hold of your license plate. The Akrapovic racing exhaust by the way is street legal because I went to the so called TÜV (technical inspection organisation)and paid a lot of money to get it legalized.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">out of curiosity, how did they 'legalize' a racing exhaust? (yet they can't 'legalize' aftermarket air filters?)

i think here in the u.s., we refer to that by a different term.....'bribery'.

it's easier just to bolt on an ignition advancer than to slot the pickup holes...and likely more accurate as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts