Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this thing ever comes out
, will it eliminate the need for a TRE? That might be cool because the gear shift indicator on the K5 might still work. Although it will prob cost $300, a TRE is about $20. Thats a lot of clams for a gear shift indicator that I really don't use that much anyway. But for some reason I don't know if I would like it stuck in 5th all the time.

http://www.powercommander.com/images/Ign_Intro.jpg

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
If this thing ever comes out
, will it eliminate the need for a TRE? That might be cool because the gear shift indicator on the K5 might still work. Although it will prob cost $300, a TRE is about $20. Thats a lot of clams for a gear shift indicator that I really don't use that much anyway. But for some reason I don't know if I would like it stuck in 5th all the time.

http://www.powercommander.com/images/Ign_Intro.jpg
The Power Commander Ignition module can only change the final corrected ignition signals + or - 10 degrees over the value the ECU creates for ignition. The PCIII can't do anything with the ignition values before the ECU. Which is exactly what the TRE attemps to accomplish in a limited way.

Your still at the mercy of the ECU and how it determines when and how correction advance is applied with the basic ignition maps for the completed ignition curve. So whatever the ECU wants it will get to do and the PCIII can only adjust after the ECU has made the final ignition signal. Same thing goes for the fuel signals when using the PCIII for fuel.

If you want to have control over the ECU and how it funtions then you must replace it with a programmable unit that will eliminate the need to use devices like the TRE and Power Comander type modules.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where can I get a programmable unit? That would be cool.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Buying or getting the unit would the least of my worries.
The price seems cheap really so I guess it's not a full engine development fuel map and ignition map you get but a copy of the Suzuki ones with slight tweaks. What about your particular or unique engine mods?
How will you know this is better than your stock maps....your headache is only just beginning.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
in racing world..any performance advantage at any rate is better than nothing. factories have the resources and means to do it even though it cost a ton. noticeable to pro racers and maybe some agressive street riders. useful on the track condition not street

who knows placebo effect lol j/k

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Where can I get a programmable unit? That would be cool.
If he has enough requests, he'll make one for the 05

Baldy
I'm sure it'll be a matter of when, not if. I'm sure he's already gotten enough demand for them already.
Spoke with him yesterday and he said that he's waiting to see the demand. The issue (as with all of the units) is that they have doubled the injectors.

Baldy
What is the Jordan team using then? I woulda thought all the R&D would have already been done on their bikes.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Buying or getting the unit would the least of my worries.
The price seems cheap really so I guess it's not a full engine development fuel map and ignition map you get but a copy of the Suzuki ones with slight tweaks. What about your particular or unique engine mods?
How will you know this is better than your stock maps....your headache is only just beginning.
All one would need is the capable ECU and additional components to collect the necessary telemetry and the management software to create your maps from that.

Closed loop system with Wideband Lambda sensor capability are a part of these systems. Is that for real time adjustments to simply maintain optimum Air/Fuel or could that actually be used to create a map on the fly or at least log the data for retrieval?

BPD advertises "Closed loop air/fuel control for self-mapping". Sounds to me like Wideband capability. Most full racing exhaust systems have the O2 bung.

Is a dyno really necessary with BPD to get telemetry? Maybe even use a Wideband Commander along with it.

How about ignition? How do you learn what the engine wants, can you log the data onboard?

If you have the ability to log telemetry and have the software I think you could do it or at least the opportunity to learn how. I already have some experience from my PCIII days making adjustments blind and only working by the seat of my pants and watching my tach and throttle position.

Baldy..... how did you do your maps and other settings with the software for your bike? Have you tried to create your own from track time and onboard telemetry?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Since Amaar is working with the Jordan team I suspect they are using either his unit or Motec.

Motec is the way to go if you have the budget and knowledge.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Since Amaar is working with the Jordan team I suspect they are using either his unit or Motec.

Motec is the way to go if you have the budget and knowledge.
Motec for sure on the SBK but the SStock bikes they aren't allowed.

They only have one SBK (for Pridmore) and I think Rapp is riding right now, but their primary focus has been SStock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts