Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 gsxr 750 and I’m thinking about getting a power commander. What would it do to my bike and is it worth getting?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
4,249 Posts
You use it to adjust fueling trims, which you should not even think about touching if you don't know what it does. As far as worth it, probably not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just send the ECU OR ECM to Chris moore Moore mafia Brock's performance Woolrich racing tools or FT Flash tune and have it flashed or re-mapped they know what they are doing and it will save you a little money unless your planning to use the dyno jet/power comander quick shifter or blip shift systems then you need to get the PCV power commander five.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Yes, I know what flashing means, but I'm unsure how and why it is done. From what I gather, you send your ECM to somebody reliable, and they change the fuel injection parameters. Is that correct?
Having spent years tuning bikes on my Dynojet dyno since before fuel injection and then into the fuel injection world, a question immediately arises in my mind. How do they know what the ECM needs for peak performance?
In my world, working with every version of Power Commander ever made, including the Fuel Nanny (bet you don't know what that is), the thing that I know holds true is that for peak performance no one map fits every like model! If I have three GSXR 750's to remap, I can guarantee you that all three will end up having different parameters. Now if all you want is a map that comes close then maybe a flash will suffice, but having spent hours on one racebike to get the best performance, I know that if I took that map and put it on another same year model it may not work as well.
Three same bikes basically all the same, with different exhaust systems will need three different maps to perform to their best possible state.
I have had many, many bikes brought to me after visiting a shop that used the autotune system and I always made them run better. I have had two that actually had less horsepower than they did stock. One 2001 GSXR750, had a milled head, thin base and head gaskets, degreed cams, BMC filter, and it had 12 horsepower less than a bone stock one I did the day before.
So how can you get optimal horsepower from a mapped/flashed ECM if it hasn't been tested on a dyno. If the answer is that it has to finished up with a dyno tune, then why not just install the proper Power Commander and go from there?
Or could it be that the number of techs with real dyno experience are few and far between?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Techlousion' entry into the tuner game the "Fuel Nanny" im an older bike shop owner 66yrs old and in it for 42yrs so im a carburetor and points guy turned fuel injection and ecm fellow. I use the Flash Tune companies ecm or ecu flash equipment. The tuner will ask a series of questions of what you have done with the unit your having done and what do you want, flashing does more than just address the fuel parameters and iginition timing it can unlock the speed limiter change the rev limit and address other issues that can and will increase performance levels, we have a stock engined 2019 GSX-R600 thats been flashed and its going 9.89 at 135 in the quarter mile with Suzuki' brochure saying that its fastest runs at 11.07 with a professional rider and my 17 yr old son rides it. Is your dyno an eddy current or water brake unit.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,601 Posts
Just send the ECU OR ECM to Chris moore Moore mafia Brock's performance Woolrich racing tools or FT Flash tune and have it flashed or re-mapped they know what they are doing and it will save you a little money unless your planning to use the dyno jet/power comander quick shifter or blip shift systems then you need to get the PCV power commander five.
Flashing the pre 2006 ECMs isn't a recommended option. And just sending it out and having it flashed and sent back is stupid unless you want one specific thing changed. Tuning is about measure and adjust, not just throwing money at it.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Flashing the pre 2006 ECMs isn't a recommended option. And just sending it out and having it flashed and sent back is stupid unless you want one specific thing changed. Tuning is about measure and adjust, not just throwing money at it.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I read this on a for sale add. I think $1,200 for a flash tune is overly expensive. "Super clean 2018 MT-10 I bought it new off the show room floor. Has 1200 miles and still functions like new. Has mid pipe delete and racefit exhaust " $1200 dollars" flash tune as well."

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,601 Posts
I read this on a for sale add. I think $1,200 for a flash tune is overly expensive. "Super clean 2018 MT-10 I bought it new off the show room floor. Has 1200 miles and still functions like new. Has mid pipe delete and racefit exhaust " $1200 dollars" flash tune as well."
Maybe de-restricted, etc. But "tuned" implies it's been on a dyno with a gas analyzer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts