Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you've followed any of my other threads. I'm new to the bike scene and just recently got a 600 1 month ago. As I go through the trials and tribulations of experts and professionals ripping me and everyone and their mothers telling me their experience. I figure, I would share my bit of mishap with my hand dandy Power Commander III.

I got the bike and the first thing I did was immediate maintenance. Being so new, not really sure what that really entailed? One thing was for sure, I decided to hookup my laptop to the onboard PWIII and see if the previous owner new what he was doing. Not that I knew any better.

Here's what I did, my mistake and how I got around it. Of course it happens on a Saturday morning.

I connected my laptop to the power commander module (bike on) and proceeded to check the loaded mappings. I noticed that the firmware for the PCIII was outdated. Well, like any other computer nerd, let's get an updated version. As I did this from the website, while still connected to the bike, the PCIII shutdown as well as the bike.

Crap, what just happened? Bike won't start and PCIII, which draws its' power from the bike battery won't come on either. So, no bike and no communication to the PCIII. Nice move...

Problem
Don't upload firmware while bike is on, as the bike needs to know how to map the fuel. This info comes from the PCIII module. So a firmware update will reboot the internal CPU and and leave your bike ECU with no signal and no fuel.

Remedy
Reestablish connection to the PCIII to finish the firmware update. First you need to establish power to the unit.

Dynojet, makers of the PCIII, provides a battery adapter that plugs into the white header. It retails for $14.99 + SH. You can purchase online or visit any bike store that sells the battery adapter.

I want to ride my bike today and cannot wait until Monday or even Tuesday. So what do you do on a weekend and no access to the battery adapter. Visit Radio Shack and hack one out.

Here is what I purchased/did:

Purchase:
$2.69 PN#270-0324 9V battery clips
$1.99 PN#276-1428 9 Position female D sub connector
$4.49 PN#230-0875 Alkaline 9V battery
$9.17 total

Make sure you have:

1. Laptop
  2. USB to mini-usb connector (make sure its not the micro-usb, comes with most cell phones)
  • With a bit of soldering or crimping, connect the crimp-type connectors to the red/black leads.
  • Connect the leads to the white header pin for power(red), ground (black)
See pics.

Looking at the header connector(not the wire side) with the tab on top.

Pin 1 (+) bottom row - furthest left
Pin 10 (-) top row - furthest right

Connect USB to laptop and software and presto, communication to the PCIII is established. You may have to connect/disconnect the USB cord to force the PC to establish a new USB device connection.

I spent a good 3-4hrs looking for the header pinouts. Wish someone, wrote a simple writeup. Eventually I found it. Hopefully this helps.

The last pic showing the connector pinout was from someone in the gxsr1000 forum. So no credit to myself.

My mishap, your remedy.

Good times...

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, funny how things happen huh? As cool as everyone may sound or appear, I've found out that everyone makes the same stupid mistake, regardless of intelligence level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you show a picture of it all hooked up? Still don't get it? The white plastic piece with the battery plugs into PC. USB plugs into laptop, what is on the other end of usb cord, and how do you wire it?

I guess what it mean is on my PC I have a serial port connector. I need a serial port connector and a usb connector on one cord right? And need to find that white plastic piece to plug into power slot. Where do I get the white plastic piece and what is it called?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me try it from a different approach:

Stuff needed:

• bike with power commander 3 installed.
  • computer with power commander main software and firmware(download via Dynojet website, google it)
  • single communication cable to connect computer to power commander (1 end will have a regular USB connector to be attached to computer, on the opposite end it will have mini-usb connector to be connected to the min-usb port found on the power commander)
  • 9V battery (must be fresh, power commander can be a drain, so make sure you have a fresh one handy or several) used to power the power the power commander
  • 9v battery "hack cable" as shown in the above pics
Instructions:

Starting from the PC (preferably a laptop, you can move your bike closer or your pc closer, your choice) you need to connect your USB connector to one of your USB ports.

Note: If you do not have a USB port, find a computer that has. If you are really hard pressed, you can use an old PC and buy an adapter that converts a regular rs232 or serial port into a USB port. They also make rs232 or DB9 connector found on the rears of most PC(s) to mini-usb too. Just google and you will find.

Connect the mini-USB end to the port found on the side of the power commander unit. (this connector will be the smaller of the 2)

So this part establishes communication to the PCIII unit.

Using your "hack cable", connect the 9v battery to the battery clip.

You must now connect the red/black leads to the 10 pin white connector found on the power connector.

Take the red lead and insert it into pin 1 of the 10 pin white connector. It should slide right in and engage itself.

Repeat with the black pin on pin 10.

The final pic of the battery adapter can be seen via my pics above.

This will provide power to the power commander III unit without the need to have the bike on.

Once you power the PCIII unit, you should hear a chime by the PC acknowledging the device and from your PCIII software you should see "device found/connected".

If you are still having problems, I would suggest you spend the $15 and buy yourself the connector and follow their instructions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The white 10 pin connector is part of your power commander module. Look on the narrow side of the unit. Can't miss it. Right next to the mini-USB port.

So, no need to "get" or "purchase"

See pic of mine installed on my bike below:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
good write up, I figured this was easy, I just bought a used power commander without a 9V adapter and was thinking there has to be a way of just wiring in a 9v battery rather than buying it from motomummy for 18 dollars plus shipping.....F that! Thanks for going through the BS work and enlightening us all!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Back from the dead :)

Just want to Thank whoever started this thread, had the same problem with a PC3 I recently bought used and this worked like a charm. Fuk buying one, when you can make one :cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh forgot to mention; I can make 4 more, since the packs came with 5 battery and d sub connectors...So whoever wants one custom made, for free, (of which I take zero liability) hit me up :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Phew!! Thank you for this post. I ran into this problem this morning, after reading your post I dashed to the Radio Shack, picked up the parts, and got back home and the bike was up and running in 5 minutes. Thank you, Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys I did this exactly as shown and the program says Device not communicating. windows recognizes it, and the program says it is connected to PC3 then it says device not communicating. when I try to flash the firmware it says Error programming Module:0x002A

Help!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent write-up, OP! This just happened to me tonight and I was all bummed out until I saw this thread. Thanks a bunch!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for this useful post! One question though - I plan to buy a used PC3, but from a different bike than mine, do you have a complete pinout diagram for PC3 USB? Dumb question, but is the 10pin white connector all that hooks up to your bike during PC3 installation?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I suppose you dont actually use the d sub connector at all, just the pin that goes to it?? went out and bought this stuff, bought the solder version.. and no idea how this connector is gonna work as its not the same

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
19 Participants
DEAF1EAR
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing