Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did any of you fellas have problems with re-installing yer parts after powder coating?
Like, did you have problems with the screws not fitting right?

any heads up would be great!

·
Registered
545 Posts
the power coat adds another layer to the part, its not un-commen for the screws to be tight, if needed I think if you can find a drill bit the exact size of the hole and drill it out carefully it should be fine. just take your time so you dont chip the powder coat.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
A lot of the hardware that I had powder coated now takes a standard and not metric allen wrench to remove or install. They (company that powder coated my stuff) tape all the threads so paint would not get on them.

·
Registered
806 Posts
B|o|T said:
did any of you fellas have problems with re-installing yer parts after powder coating?
Like, did you have problems with the screws not fitting right?

any heads up would be great!
Rearsets would be a problem for sure. Like the guys said, you need to either drill it through the hole, or try and use some WD-40 to slide them in. But most likley you will need to shave them down or drill the hole. It is very common to come across this issue after powder coating. :cheers

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
If you don't have/are scared of a drill, you could prolly take a very small file and just "dress" the holes a lil bit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
my coater didn't get coating in the holes.

i didn't have them do my machine screws b/c i wanted them to go back in.

I masked them off and threw a few coats of satin black spray paint on them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
timyates519 said:
Bot what'd you get powdercoated mayne? Rearsets?
nah, I haven't done shit yet. but that's the winter project. getting my rear-sets and my passenger pegs done.
then a power commander and an M4, either black or titanium. prolly a black.
keep the rockstar theme

I figured it would happen. seen it happen to the OCC guys countless times on the shows. they got the tools to redress the parts...I'm pretty handy with tools. drilling shouldn't be a problem. I guess I'll have to see which way I need to go about it once I get them back.
thanks for the imput fellas!

·
Registered
115 Posts
sounds like your powder coater is not taking his time to prep the parts with plugs, caps, and high temp tape.

i make sure all my customers parts are 100% bolt on with no extra work when they receive their parts back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep the people who coated it should have covered the holes with high temp resistant tape.

You could use acetone (nail polish remover) by dripping a few drops down the screw hole and leave for about a couple of minutes. This will soften the powdercoat then you could slowly work the screw in and out a few times. This should work and will save you from having to tap a new thread into it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a K6 600 and just did mine yesterday and I taped the threads with high temp resistent tape, that's it. Everything fit back up as good as stock, no problems.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My powdercoater plugged 95% of the holes. Most weren't a problem, but for the one's there were I just took a fine round file and took a layer off.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
As long as the shop knows what they are doing you shouldn't have any problems. I do lots of rear sets and no one has problems putting them back together.
If the shop is using good powder Acetone will not remove the powder so make sure they are done right the first time.

G

·
I have a question for you guys. My stuff is ready to go in the shop. Was there any problem with the plastic fitting inside the rear brake lever? Do i need to remove it and if so, how? Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.