Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bike reaches 50,000km in bike life is it possible and economically feasible to rebuild the engine?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Definitely possible though im not sure about economical. Now if your wanting to go trick with it now is the time. But in my opinion to rebuild it by a dealership cost approx. $2000(from what im told). You can usually find a used motor (depending on year and all) for anywhere from $800-$1500.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What is wrong woth yours?? Why rebuild? Could be simply a timing cain replacement or a cam replacement... How is you rcompression? Why do you think you need to rebuild the motor. I habe 24,000 miles on my 97 600 and the only thing I have repleced is the timing chain and tensioner......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well there's nothing wrong, nothing that I can tell anyways...

I'm only wondering cause I continue to ride at high speed and it's more of a comfort thing or piece of mind...

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I just rebuilt my motor... I even replaced a gear and a shift fork on the bike, They were almost out of spec.

My cost of doing the rebuild (with a new timming chain) was about 800 USD. I did rings but not pistons...

If you ask me, it is much more worth to rebuild the motor then it is to buy a used one. If you rebuild the motor, you know it is fresh. If you are going to pay a dealer it will cost a lot and at that point you should look into a used motor...

John

·
Registered
108 Posts
Take it from someone else who just finished rebuilding his bike two weeks ago. Here is the bottom line on rebuilding your engine. There are some things that one will expect to do when rebuilding. (Replace seals, gaskets, bearings, fluids, plugs, and plug wires)But it's those unknown parts that will usually hurt your pockets the most, and have you wondering why your even doing it.

I started to rebuild but as soon as I got the engine apart and started measuring things I could see that it was going to cost way more then the $1600 I had budgeted for. I took a chance and bought a used engine from someone here, and God Bless him, it turn out just fine.

You make it sound like there it's anything really wrong with your bike that you know of. If that's the case, get it tested. Have someone who knows what there doing test your engine. Leak down, oil pressure, compression, etc. have them do it all. It may give you the piece of mind that your looking for.

Rob

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yep very true... I was lucky and only had one thing that I had extra to replace (well two), the final drive and shift fork for 3rd to 4th gear... It cost me a extra 150ish to get... Not to bad if you ask me... I did it all for about 700...

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
GSX-R Freak is right. I would rather rebuild the engine than getting a used one that you don't know if it will be any good. I work at a scrap yard and it happens very often that whe test the engines only to have them come back a couple of months after. You never know how the engine was treated by the guy before. If you rebuild you'll have a like new engine but if you buy used, you could get a very good engine but you could also get one that will last 500 miles before letting go.

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
My 2 cents is this: assuming you are going to do this yourself... at the very least count on replacing valves, cam, timing chain, pistons(or at least rings), all the associated bearings and gaskets, and doing a serious clean up to the head...

I plan to do at least that much towards the end of the riding season. If you are riding OK and don't have any problems your best bet is to shop hard and ask alot of questions of your local shop tech (preferably one that races or has raced) about the different options you will have to replace your stock equipment.

Most of which u will want to pay attention to your choice of cam that is the heart of your engine. This will be your opportunity to change your setup and maybe add some power. But also consider the ridablilty of your bike before u make a decision.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Unless there is a problem with your valves and your cams, there should be no reason to replace them. If your motor is running smooth and just seems down on power... you should put in rings and clean up everything... You should not have to break into the low end unless you have a problem down there... Anyhow... Rings, base gasket, head gasket, I would replace the valve springs (so you dont have a problem like mine has now). You might also want to replace the valve guide seals.... You should be fine if you do that stuff... A cam chain might not be a bad idea..

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts