Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Possible seized motor

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  spike52 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, i’m new here. i joined to ask a question, i got a used 05 1000 clean title (18k miles) about 3 months ago, it’s cammed, and has a new crank and rod bearings because the previous owner spun a bearing, and rebuilt it himself. He gave me the old crank and bearing for proof. It’s been riding perfect for 3 months, but Today i was riding and was NOT beating on it what so ever, but it just shut off, just turned off and rolled to a stop, at first it made a sound like i stripped a gear or something until i went into a lower gear and tried to bump it and nothing happened, bike was at temp (160), not overheating, now when i try to start it, dash lights and fuel pump comes on but it just clicks when i push starter button, doesn’t turn over or anything, it has a brand new battery, and when i try to bump start it, nothing happens, the rear tire just locks up.. even rolling it back and forth in 5th gear the back tire doesn’t move at all unless the clutch is in. all fuses are fine and everything.. just won’t turn over. What’s wrong with it ? and what’s the best path to take with it ?

#2 ·
First 160 °F is too low for normal operation. The thermostat is 180 °F and it should keep the temperature above 170 °F unless you're in Alaska. Or did you remove it?

It sounds like the transmission is OK if it rolls with the clutch in. Furthermore you'll generally hear a horrible rattling sound if a rod bearing has failed. So the crankshaft or balancer bearings are suspect. Drain the oil and look for metallic particles in it. Remove the spark plugs and timing inspection plug and try to rotate the crankshaft (clockwise) by the starter clutch bolt. That bolt gets tightened to 40 ft-lbf and things should turn well before that. Then report back here. Off-hand it sounds like you need to get a mechanic involved. Perhaps an oil passage was clogged. Does the oil pressure light work? You may need a new engine but let's check things out first. How mechanically experienced was the previous owner?

#3 ·
Alright. Got the bike home today, drained the oil, no metal shavings to be found, oil was perfect and still golden from last oil change, and oil didn’t smell burnt, it smelled like oil.. the temp was at 160 because it was pretty cold, before it locked, we road an hour down the highway and it stayed at 160 the whole time...took the plugs out, they were fine, but couldn’t hand turn the motor to save my life.. i don’t understand the reason though. didn’t overheat, had enough oil, wasn’t under load, and the rear wheel never locked up when it stalled. I was attempting to bump it today, and i dumped the clutch in 2nd and jumped on the bike and the rear tire rolled, but couldn’t hear the motor turning, just the tire. literally don’t understand.

#4 ·
You could remove the generator cover and try turning the motor backwards using the bolt for the generator rotor. However don't turn it very far as the timing chain and its tensioners are involved. I'm wondering if the timing chain might be snagged inside.

#5 ·
I had one of my good friends that has worked on bikes for years come by and take a look at her, he gave it a good look around, and even put it in 5th gear and rolled it back and forth and the back tire wouldn’t budge...so he pronounced her dead, so we loaded it up and i let him take it back with him, he’s gonna break it down, and possibly do a heart transplant for me.. should have her running again by the end of January, thanks for responding, and thanks for all the help, means a lot !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.