Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Earlier I went on a quick ride to get my haircut. Came home…i left the key in my bike but in the off position as i needed to move stuff around the garage and my bike a couple times. Couple hours later had to go to the bank, went to start the bike and I turn the key and nothing…dash doesnt come on…nothing…get out the dmm and test the battery and I get 12.6v. So i figured I try jumping it iff my girlfriends cars…hook the cables up to the car then the negative to the negative terminal on my bike and all off a sudden everything comes on? Disconnect the jumper cables and the bike fires right up like nothing happened…any ideas if what could have caused this?? Also a short while later I turned the bike off and took the key out and my taillight stayed on…im nervous now to take the bike anywhere for fear ill go to take off and it wont start🙁.. any info on this would be mucho appriciato!
Thanks Guys
D.B.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
86 Posts
Simple troubleshooting logic is probably all you've got to do. Just check that things are connected fully, not shorting, has voltage, etc. The key ignition is just a fancy electrical switch that decides whether or not to turn on the bike electronics when you put in the right key, with or without the immobilizer if installed, etc.

• 12.6V is plenty to turn on a bike. No worries there.
  • Check the battery terminals and the main connectors. Make sure they are screwed on all the way, not loose, no damage to the actual battery terminals themselves, etc.
  • Check all over for broken wires, especially around the ignition switch by your key hole and around the battery.

I would be personally a bit afraid to ride a bike that might shut down mid ride too, but electrical issues are just things being disconnected when they should be connected, or more rarely, things being connected that shouldn't be connected.

Take the fairings off, maybe take the tank and airbox off, get a tiny mirror and flashlight, and start looking. A multimeter helps a lot too.

-Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didnt shut down mid ride…i took a break from riding then went back out and no powere…then when i went to jump it everything kicked on and was back to normal…now it starts and everything is fine…idk lol

·
Registered
GSX-R750
86 Posts
Yeah I know it didn't shut down mid ride. What I was saying is that if you do in fact actually have electrical problems, it could shut down on you mid ride, which is no fun.

Electrical issues are one of the hardest to fix, because sometimes the problems are intermittent. Sometimes they happen, and sometimes they don't. For the most part, I wouldn't ever leave an electrical issue, hoping that it fixed itself if it somehow goes away for a while.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
Hey guys,
Earlier I went on a quick ride to get my haircut. Came home…i left the key in my bike but in the off position as i needed to move stuff around the garage and my bike a couple times. Couple hours later had to go to the bank, went to start the bike and I turn the key and nothing…dash doesnt come on…nothing…get out the dmm and test the battery and I get 12.6v. So i figured I try jumping it iff my girlfriends cars…hook the cables up to the car then the negative to the negative terminal on my bike and all off a sudden everything comes on? Disconnect the jumper cables and the bike fires right up like nothing happened…any ideas if what could have caused this?? Also a short while later I turned the bike off and took the key out and my taillight stayed on…im nervous now to take the bike anywhere for fear ill go to take off and it wont start🙁.. any info on this would be mucho appriciato!
Thanks Guys
D.B.
might sound funny but I stopped getting my hair cut cuz of that type of shyt...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts