Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 750 seams to like to pop out of second gear under full accelaration. I've been told this is a common problem with gixxers of this vintage. Is there anything I can do about it and how much might it cost. It only does it if it's at full throttle past 9000 RPM's which I don't do all that often.

Also.... Is it just me or does the search function bring up everything but what you typed in?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Common it is, more so with the 1100. Mine is on the way out also.
The fix is usually two gears and a shift fork, gaskets & maybe a shift drum. $3-400 in parts. The labor is the killer, it's not that hard to do but it is time consuming. 5-10 hours of labor depending on the shop.

Mike

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
oh yeah you'll spend 450. just to tear the motor down man that sucks I had this problem too in my 750. after I blow a rod I just replaced the engine.like he says usually 2nd gear and shift fork. sry dude
don't slam it up in second and rip the throttle anymore. I learned the hard way
don't let this be you

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ve been fortunate not to have this problem with my gixxer. But my Honda Magnas are really common for these problems. I ve replaced quite a few of them for myself and customers, my charge to pull the motor , tear it down and replace the shift fork and undercut the gears is $1250. Be prepared to spend some coins to fix the problem, might be cheaper to find another motor..........

Good luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep My 1100 did this. The cases are split as we speak. After spending all that time tearing it down you might as well rebearing it/change timing chain. Gets pretty expensive pretty fast. I'm considering just buying another engine.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
as said above my 1100 and a friends 600 did this 2nd gear is going, and its attached to 5th on the 1100. yea the parts are the cheap part, it the damn spliting of the case's that cost's so damn much. just dont let them screw your motor over like they did mine when they fixed it. the shop that did mine had a new mechanic who apparantly has no idea what the hell toruqe specs are and he stripped out multiple bolts, so my "NEW" motor started leaking like a harley a quart of oil per 1 hour riding, and one helluva messy a_s bike. yea look around the cheapest place isnt always the best i had to bring it back 3 times. and they still didnt get the thing done right. i eventually brought it to a guy that only builds race motors and had him tear it back down(and install a 1225 bigbore kit, full race porting, larger valves, and 38mm flat slide carbs) check it over to make sure they didnt screw anything else up, and re assemble with all new gaskets, and fixing any stripped out bolts while they were doing it. the only draw back to going to a race motor builder is you are on a waiting list for about 6 months before he gets to your stuff, the good thing is 99% of the time it is done right perfectly no mistakes anywhere with the best of the best parts put in. and yea it cost more to but isnt your baby worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.