Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My k51000 has poor idle and will die when first staring up. Does the idle screw just need to be adjuted up a tad? The bike know has 350 miles on it. Any body else have this problem. I live up in Denver Colorado where the altitude is alot higher then most.

·
Banned
564 Posts
mine is a little giggy also when cold. i think its normall though...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Im in south IL. My idle sux at start up. I upped my idle to 1500 when worm. It is smoother but still sux at start up. I blame it on high compression. But what the heck do I know?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea mine does the same stuff as you guys and it has went in for the first service after the first 600 miles I have yet to talk to them again for I went out of town but all they did was turn up the idle and still is real cold blooded until it warms up and they also turned the idle up to 1500.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The rough idle is normal for a cold start. The motor is designed to operate in the 160-180 degree temp range and that is where the engineers designed everything for. Be careful when getting on it when it's running kind of rough. You can foul your plugs quicker that way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i flipped about this issue initially too, but turns out it's common (normal?). i dont know about you guys, but i like my bike to be nice and warmed up before i ride it (because lets face it, once you saddle up you cant resist raping the throttle) so i go start it up before i start putting my gear on. 5-10 min later and it's atleast 150 f and ready to ravage.

which leads me to a question, how long do you guys warm your bikes up for and what temp is the bike at when you start riding it?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I let mine get to about 100 and then ride it real easy til its up to full temp

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
a simple fix is to increase the idle screw for now until a PC or cube becomes available.. you can simply adjust the cells in the lower rpms range by adding fuel and this will help on cold starts... its a must do if you remove the stv's once you remap and live in cold areas

·
Registered
125 Posts
i crank mine up and then kill it and start it again and it will go to fast idle then and it is fine but when i crank it on first try it wants to die

1 - 11 of 11 Posts