Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a good thread to start expecially for those who work on their own bikes.
So here is the question:
Tool wise what do you guys use?
Here is what my little collection consists of so far:
Pit Bull Rear stand
Craftsman 144or so pc Mechanics set, ratchets, sockets, wrenches, allen wrenches ect.
Eazy out kit
Craftsman Tourque Wrench (my wife lol)
Craftsman Allen head sockets (life savers when in the trunk with a small ratchet).

My next purchases are aux gas tank, chain breaker, Good drill, and a front stand. Maybe a engine stand.

So what's in your garage (or my case Mom's garage lol)? Expecially Jeff, Joey, Tim ect.

jontflesh

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

·
Registered
804 Posts
stands, big ol air compressor, impact gun, air grinder, DA sander, whole shite load of tools (started as a 250 piece, grown to probably about 400). one ft/lb torque wrench, one in'lb, couple of hammers, a plastic mallet, dremel tool, cordless drill, um.... nice 3ftx8ft workbench with 1/8 steel top (very nice for motor work), vise grips, bench grinder, paint gun, propane torches, soldering gun, scary to think how much money i have into my tools, cool part is they last forever, and even scarier how many more bike specific tools im planning to buy... fork seal drivers, engine stands, definately need to stop borrowing my buddys circlip pliers and fork spring compressor....

------------------
Tim
GLRRA #96

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
In the tool box I have everything needed to strip the bike down to nuts and bolts... and hopefully put it back together

I do a lot of improvising with my tools, but never in a way that could damage anything. I use milk crates as a bike stands for now and they work great.

In the tool box: Rachet set, lots of different screwdrivers, powerdrills (cordless & cord) with drill bits and screwdriver bits, lots of different wrenches and pliers, the must have Vice-Grips, broken screw extractors, hacksaw of cource, razor blades, thread lock, steel epoxy, etc...
Very basic but useful stuff. Every time I'm stumped I go out and get the tool for the job and add it to the collection.
Oh ya... I have a crowbar and sledge hammer for those stubborn but delecate stuck engine components, and a punching bag on the side for when I fuck up

Always adding to the list of tools...

------------------
mark t's Gixxer Page

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Man you guys have some tools. I have only the bare essentials. Black & Decker Versa Pack with drill, saw, flash light, sander. A few Craftsman wrenches and sockets. Screwdrivers and hammer, set of drill bits, vice-grip.
The main one is the 2-1/2 ton hydraulic jack(mainly for car use). I build as I go and need.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i had a lot more tools years ago, but when i moved i gave some away and lost the rest.

you don't really need many tools to work on a bike....i have just the basics right now: sockets, socket wrenches (3/8" and 1/2"), torque wrench, hammers, mallets, manual impact wrench, drills, dremel, vise grips, hacksaws, tappet wrenches, feeler gauges, adjustable wrenches - one of em's a 24 incher for those times when you absolutely, positively, must overtighten the fucker
- also some other tools i'm probably forgetting....

gonna get an electric impact wrench very soon, though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
a radio, huge air compresser, various paint guns, airbrush, Dewalt hand grinder(buffer), DA sander, an ancient ARC welder, Lincon MIG welder, parts wash bin, sandblaster,air chisels, drill presses, various drills, bench vise, bench grinder/polisher, dremel, air impact, air ratchet, air rivet gun, soldering iron, car engine lift, two floor jacks, pit bull stand, torque wrench, tap and die sets, propane torches, complete set of allen keys, two tall toolboxes filled vith just about every craftsman tool made, I'm sure I've left out alot of things...oh and my 9mm RUGER

Well they all aren't mine, most are my fathers.....but I have used all and have access to them as needed

·
Registered
192 Posts
200 -some odd piece craftsman tool set with ratchets, sockets, wrenches, allens, etc...stands (front and rear) dremel, cordless drills, 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches, ratcheting screwdriver sets with allen heads, t-handle allen wrenches...some other crap that I can't even remember right now....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Too many Mac, SnapOn, SK, Hazet, Facom, Mercedes Benz, Bmw, and crapsmen hand tools to count, air compressor, impact guns, air ratchets, die grinders, air chisel, dremel, mallets, hammers, pry bars , punches, dial caliper, tap & die set, helicoils, torque wrench, acytelene torch, carb stix, pullers, is there a way to count screwdrivers, pliers pliers and more pliers, compression tester, oscilliscope, multimeter, power supply, soldering tools, cool inductive ignition KV tester, inductive tach, timming light, motorcycle lift.

Home made includes a bearing installer, 2 brass hammers, rear stand, and just started building a tire bead breaker/changing station.

------------------
Hey Man! Get that Gixxer on the track!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Oh yeah...luckily work lets me use a mill, lathe and mig welder...that stuff would put a dent in the racing budget.

------------------
Hey Man! Get that Gixxer on the track!

·
Registered
151 Posts
A roll away full of craftsmen tools, two torque wrenches, air ratchet, air impact, several drill motors, die grinder, two dremel tools, mig welder, bench grinder, a small makita grinder, a large grinder,drill press, paint gun, compressor, table saw, router w/table, band saw,lathe, jointer/planer, electric hand planer, torches,stands, clutch tools ,gear pullers,several soldering irons, slide hammer, taps/dies, plus some more I can't think of right now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
At the home for my gixxer:
1. Rollaway with combination wrenches, 1/4" drive, 3/8" drive & 1/2" drive with 6pt/12pt/allen/torx sockets from Snap-on, Proto & Craftsman in metric (up to 36mm) and standard (up to 1 1/4).
2. 6hp 30ga air compressor with air tools & paint gun.
3. Pit Bull front and rear stands.
4. Torque wrenches: 1/2" drive 10-150ft-lb, 3/8" drive 20-150in-lb.
5. 3-ton floor jack and jack stands.
6. Some Porsche-specific tools that I needed when I blew up the engine in a 911 many moons ago (including a 42mm crow foot).
7. Dremel & accessories.
8. Radio Shack DMM & Sound level meter.
9. Whole bunch of miscellaneous hand tools (drill, pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, pop riveter, etc.)
10. 1", 2", 3" & 4" micrometers, vernier calipers, inside mikes.
11. Whole bunch of tools needed to work on my racing bicycles.

At my in-law's garage:
1. Bench grinder.
2. Welding gear.
3. Drill press.
4. Another rollaway with "I can't count" sockets, wrenches, ratchets, etc.
5. Air compressor.
6. My Sun engine analyzer and timing light.

Stuff I wish I still had (lost, given away, or MIA):
1. Engine stand.
2. Engine hoist.
3. Sandblasting cabinet.
4. Safety wire pliers.
5. Sheet metal cutting tools.

In a past life I used to restore cars and build engines for a drag racing team.

------------------

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great thread guys

At least shows anyone who wants to tear into their bike where to start.

jontflesh

·
Registered
58 Posts
3 socket/wratchet sets
security bit set
pitbull rear stand
2 ton jack
various pliers
vice grips
tons of spare screws
air tank
air wratchet, drill, air sprayer
various pieces of metal
battery tender
spare battery
cleaners
paint
airbrush kit
tires
rolling tool chest
towels
buffer
sander
dremel and air dremel kits

since i rarely through away anything, i have a ton of spare things...especially just about every tool i need to tear down my bike and put it back :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
well since you ask :D
not all for the bike but you dident specify

Pit bull front facing rear stand and new style front stand
4 ft flouresent light bar
2 torque wrenches
several tape measures and a fancy stanly fat max laser measure
several deadblow, ball, sledge, and rubber hammers
differnt size crow bars and bolt cutters
quick clamps and c clamps of different sizes
craftsman true rms muiltimeter with infrared thermometer
fluke clamp meter
Spi magnetic mount run out gauge
rivit gun and kleco kit
left right and center metal snips
craftsman tap and die set
several assorted sized klein pliers, wire stripers, and screw drivers
metric and standard allen wrenches and socket attached style
socket style torx bits
knipex cutters center and side
assorted size and shapped vise grips
assorted shaped files and hand saws
many many snap-on, blue-point, mac, kobalt, and chraftsman screw drivers, breaker bars, rachets, sockets, and wrenches (metric and standard)
2 stap wrenches
kobalt magnetic oil change socket set
DeWalt 18v impact + hammer, and 90 degree drill, sawzall, grinder/buffer, circullar saw, flashlight, and almost any attachment made for all
makita 18 and 9.6v drills, saws, and grinders
corded and 10.8v cordless dremel and endless bits
Mityvac
Air tools: 2 Ingersoll rand impact guns, ziz wheel, assorted grinders, and drills
timming gun
5hp 30 gal air compressor
band saw
old stick welder that almost never gets used
HD battery charger
2 orbital buffers (1 small 1 large) with lots of Meguiers wax
complete detail kit I have assembled from different things (i.e. tooth brushes, q tips, dental tools, twezers, etc.)
snap-on roll around cart
jack and jack stands
oil pan and drip pan
Mac low profile creeper
and an old ragged tool cabbinet to keep most of it in

could have left a few things out and I hope more to come, I like the idea of a parts washer, metel lathe, mig welder, down draft paint booth, and sandblasting cabinet in my shop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
About 15k in Mac stuff.

What I want now-
NICE compressor (so I can make real use of all my air tools)
NICE welder

·
Registered
1 Posts
around 10k in snap-on, matco, mac, craftsman hand/air/diagnostic/specialty tools in snap-on box.air compressor,parts washer,workbench vise/grinder,torch set,mig welder,alot of misc.,oh and a 4 post lift! ebay 025.jpg

Photo_012608_004.jpg

ebay 024.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Since i figure you guys know your tools, what would you recommend for a MIG elder for someone on a budget, like a college budget.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Check ebay for an older snap-on OR go around to your local body shops and see if you can find a body man getting rid of his welder for a new one. They might just need a little fixing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ill bring this thread back from its KIA status.

Big shit:
26 gallon air compressor (one of the best investments i've made)
sand blasting cabinet (just got it for Powder coating soon)
double oven off craigslist for PC
Cut off wheel
heavy duty industrial grinder (Grizzly)
230 amp stick (trying to get rid of it i got it for free)

Smaller shiz:
Dewalt corded power drill
Porter cable saw zawl
corded wood saw
2 routers
belt and reg. sander
impact wrench
impact socket wrench
air nailer and stapler
air cut off wheel
small and large clamps
90 peice small set