Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to polish the outer rims of the wheels of my 92' GSX-R 1100.
The wheels have some kind of dark-blue colour (original paint), that is to be found on the red/black/silver gixxers.

Can I polish them ?

Or can I coat them ( powdercoating ?)

Can you help me ?
I haven't got the slightest idea what you can do to the wheels.

I simply want to make my bike look more exclusive.
The wheels should look like these ones

Thanks!
Lemmy69

[ 05-14-2002, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Lemmy69 ]

·
Registered
178 Posts
lemmy69, your wheels can be polished, but it takes a lot of work. i asked people for months about how to polish my wheels, and i got a million different suggestions. but they all said one thing- work!!! it takes a lot of elbow grease to make them shine. i found someone to polish mine for a reasonable cost. but even now, i still have to hand polish them all the time. if you don't mind the extra cleaning, they sure set your bike apart from the crowd!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cide!
I'm looking for a shop that can polish them. Haven't found one so far. Maybe I'll do it myself during wintertime.
We'll see!

PS: Nice bike by the way. I wished my bike was in such excellent condition.

Greetz!
Lemmy69

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

Man, those are some seriously blindingly shiny rims!! What did they use to polish those babies?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Bold:

Man, those are some seriously blindingly shiny rims!! What did they use to polish those babies?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hey bold, the guy told me that he grinds the wheels smooth, and then uses some kind of jeweler's rouge. when i got them back, i used some mother's and extreme to seal them. they are a little dull, but still look good!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well the way i've done my bikes is pretty simple, I simply tape the center off, cuz i usually paint it some weird color, then i brush on airplane paint remover. Let it sit for a minute ot two until it starts to bubble . Then i wipe it off with a rag and bam its polished. Then i polish it more with either steel wool (0000 grade) or i just polish it with mothers polishing creme.
It does take time though so be ready for a days worth of work . Once i remove the tape i spray it the color i want ..and bam all shiny and pretty .... Its fairly simple just takes time.

Now if you want the whole rim polished , be ready for some seriouse elbow grease or pay for it to have it done..... Since the center of the rim is pitted it takes longer to sand smooth and get the polished look.
The other edges of the rim are smooth but the center is all pitted. Every rim i've done its always been the same smooth and easy on the outside and pitted on the inside...
Remember once you start theres no turning back .. unless of course you have them powder coated .... in anycase good luck and take your time ..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea!
I think I'm going to take apart the whole bike next autumn and polish the frame(factory done) and powder-coat the wheels.
I'm in fact too lazy to do it all by myself. I've tried some things on other bikes but it didn't look the way I wanted.
And I don't really want to spoil my bike. Rather pay for the job and be pleased afterwards.

But I think there's no way to go without polished/powder coated wheels.

Thanks for the info!

Lemmy69

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Ricks750!,
Great idea about the aircraft paint remover. Where do You get that stuff from, it's got to be better than sanding sanding and polishing polishing

·
Registered
156 Posts
Basically you can get it at any hardware store ... Jasco works great too ...... ya once you put it on and wipe off little is left for you to do ,, i've noticed that the purple rims that came on the 91's have a little more paint on them so you might have to put extra remover on after the first wipe ..but in all its quick and easy ...good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
No you have to pull the rim off the bike and remove the rotor in order to get a nice clean job,,,,, Just tape up everything you dont want to be painted ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts