Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my plug wires. Can you use a larger car sysle wires like 8mm ones? What is a good upgrade for the stock coils?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I put new wires on my coils but I could only fit the 7mm wire into the coils. The retaining clips all broke when I removed the wires so I used rtv to glue the new wire in place. On the other end the boot will unscrew from the wire.

You can use Dyna coils as a replacement. I was too cheap to buy them. I'm gonna start searching around for another coil. I'll post any results I find but don't hold your breath...it'll take a while.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I just went through all the stuff that it sounds like you're going through. I am running the Dyna 2000 box, Dyna Grey 2.2ohm coils, Nology Hotwires, and NGK non-resister plugs. I spent quite a bit of time with the techs from all three companies about their products. The only conflict I got was from Dyna that the Nology wires would not work, although Dyna has never tested the wires in the shop. They are basing that from heresay. Nology on the other hand has done testing with Dyna's box and not had any trouble. The best recommendation was to make sure all componants are well grounded. The real science to this combo is the wires. You've got to check them out. The coils just compliment the rest of the system. Nothing new here, they just work. I did have to relocate the coils as they are bigger than the stock ones and don't fit well up front. Besides it too hot up there anyway. I have pictures that I can email of the install. This all lights the mix provided by 40mm Mikuni RS's attached to 89' 750 intake manifolds which were installed two years ago. With all this the bike has never responded so well, nor pulled so hard. I am extremely impressed with the performance gains. I had two guys approach me at a recent track day (N.H.I.S. Loudon, NH) to find out what I had done because they could just not keep up. One guy on a 01' R1, other guy on a jetted, piped 98' VMax. Unsolicited compliments are the best proof.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mconte,

Can you e-mail me pics of the set up????

Getting ready to do something similar.

Thanks,

JDB1371

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've pulled everything apart so far. What a mess, I guess someone had the some problem with the retainer clips before, so they superglued the whole wire in. Made a mess of things getting them apart. I plan on trying the silicone to seal the new wires. I do wish I could afford the Dyna upgrades. But not yet, stock will have to work for now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
xratt,

I am located in Jacksonville, Florida, if you needs osme help, let me know, I can try and see if I can get you going...

If interested, let me know...

LATER,

JDB1371

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I upgraded my wires, coils & CDI this winter with Dyna product. 2.2ohm & 8mm wires. I put it all just in front of the battery box under the tank mounting bolts. I made a simple "L" shaped plate that hangs down for the coils to be bolted. I put the CDI under the seat behind the battery.

Like this...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Dyno 2000 looks like the shit. I will put that on my list of future upgrades. For now I replaced the wires with 7mm. Siliconed them, cleaned all the wire clips and grounds on the coils. I think one of the plug boots is bad. #1 will shock you if you grab it. So that's next.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK, help me out what does the 2000 do? Replace the stock black box? Ive aleady upgraded my coils with the Dyna units and used the hotwires as well.
Seat of the pant ..that made a differance!
I was looking for a V&H PowerPak which are
un-obtanium now, does the 2000 work the same?

R.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used accell 8.8 wires for a car, the cut to fit kind With dyna coils. I did have to put thoes little screw on nubs on the spark plugs so the boots would "snap on". It all works good.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by xratt:
The Dyno 2000 looks like the shit. I will put that on my list of future upgrades. For now I replaced the wires with 7mm. Siliconed them, cleaned all the wire clips and grounds on the coils. I think one of the plug boots is bad. #1 will shock you if you grab it. So that's next.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Save yourself some time, use the OEM suzuki plug boot... the NGK ones always gave me problems. ...also, that *is* copper wire you used, yes? If not, that's gonna give you trouble too (it did for me).

·
Registered
434 Posts
on my 86 with no air box I mounted yamaha rd 350 coils they look like a half scale car coil that allows after market plug wires to be used. If you check the primary resistance you are looking for about 3 ohms so I wired 2 coils in series to give me about 3 ohms resistance, and wired that combo just like the stock coil. Check the resistance as there are various versions with diff resistance. Used a set of silicone solid core wires with silicone boots and no resisters in the boots. Have used resister and non resistor plugs with no problems. There is room to mount the 4 coils to a bracket and go between the frame rails above the carbs, works well and it was cheap and gave me individual coil per cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts