Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Plug gapping

938 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  GSXR-Freak 
#1 ·
I am waiting for my manual to arrive but I need to take advantage of the nice weather this weekend to do some riding. Problem is I need to change my plugs because they are fouled to hell but my manual wont be here until next week so I dont know the torque specs or the gapping numbers. If someone could please help me out with the right numbers I would appreciate it.

G
#2 ·
Originally posted by DarthGixxer:
I am waiting for my manual to arrive but I need to take advantage of the nice weather this weekend to do some riding. Problem is I need to change my plugs because they are fouled to hell but my manual wont be here until next week so I dont know the torque specs or the gapping numbers. If someone could please help me out with the right numbers I would appreciate it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know about your bike, bro. For a '00-'02 750 (and I assume 600), with CR9E or CR9EK plugs, the recommended gap is .7-.8mm.

Most of the time, the plugs don't need to be gapped out of the box. They're often already at or very near what they need to be. So I don't see where you'd have an issue just popping them in and gapping them once you get your manual. Just make sure they're all consistent.

Of course, someone will probably come along & give you the exact figures anyway
Gixxer.com rocks!

#3 ·
for your bike the stock is cr9e but both seem to work well in the bike.

torque is 8.5 lb-ft

gap is what lean said(.7 - .8mm), same as .028-.032 in

#4 ·
leanangle is right about the gap(0.028-0.032in), but is wrong about them being gapped from the factory..gap your plugs..and the torque would be 12N.m(1.2kg-m, 8.5lb-ft)

also, do your self a favor and use a dab of anti sieze on the threads....alittle go's along way.

[ 11-08-2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: spongebob ]

G
#5 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong, guys. I don't mean to advocate not gapping your plugs!
Listen to what Sponge said!

It's just been my experience that they're usually right in the ballpark out of the box. In other words, if no-one spoke up after I did, and he wanted to replace his plugs until he heard back from y'all or got his manual, it probably would have been OK to temporarily run them 'out-of-the-box.

#6 ·
I would have to agree with both sponge and lean. I have a 96 gix750 and every pair of NGK's I bought have been gapped on the low side .26 and the bike would run, but gapping them up a lil worked much better. Ran much much better. They are consistant at .26 out of the boxes, but would recommend going higher.
my 3 cents.
chuckie

#8 ·
Originally posted by Brolo:
Newbie Spark Plug Question: how do you gap them? Yet another tool to buy?

Just finishing up my first season but still a lot to learn.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup, but this one is really cheap. Go to autozone or any parts store and they usually have them at the counter for like a $1.00 or $2.00. Usually they are about the size of a half dollar coin and go on keychain.
Chuck

#9 ·
Thanx Chuckie.

So...you buy a plug and it's pre-gapped (ie NGK's), and it'll run okay out of the box. It really makes that much of a difference between .026 and .028 inches?

FYI- checked my Clymer...
0.7-0.8mm (0.028-0.031 inches)

We're talkin' teency difference here.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Brolo:
Thanx Chuckie.

So...you buy a plug and it's pre-gapped (ie NGK's), and it'll run okay out of the box. It really makes that much of a difference between .026 and .028 inches?

FYI- checked my Clymer...
0.7-0.8mm (0.028-0.031 inches)

We're talkin' teency difference here.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well can't say how much of a difference between .028 and .028 but the difference between .026 and .032 was big. Ran much better. With all 3 sets of NGK's I changed.

Chuckie

#12 ·
Originally posted by Blakjax98:
Did it run better at .026 or .032??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I bet at .032... The system is made to use a set range of gap... What I do with mine is put them at the smallest size per toe book (.7mm) and then when the plug wears the gap will get bigger and it should last longer before you need to gap it again..

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.