Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive searched for this already but i cant find it....i just bought a srad and i dont even know where the oil dipstick is....sorry to say im new with the whole bike mechanic scene....i thought it would be like a car but i was mistaken...what oil should i use??? this info would really help me.....thx alot

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Ok, first off - put down the key and step away from the bike... Then take the MSF course and learn to ride before you even think of getting on the GSX-R - it's a race bike with lights and a plate for fuck's sake - fuck up on it and it will fuck you up royally... Maybe put it on hold and get a 250 cheap to learn the basics on.

Oil - you can basically use a normal 10W-40 without "performance additives" - the latter can make the clutch slip because the engine, clutch and tranny share the same lubrication system. I would choose a motorcycle specific oil myself, though, I have nothing but good experiences with Castrol RS-4T 10W-50 - but it is pretty pricey.

Most newer bikes don't have a dipstick, including the GSX-Rs. On the right engine case there's a small inspection window with upper and lower oil level markings. The bike needs to be vertical - not on the side stand - for it to indicate properly. Get someone to hold the bike for you while you check.

And welcome to GdC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know how to ride......didnt take any classes...just learned with a bunch of friends! just unfamiliar with the service stuff for bikes. would have asked my friends but they're not cool....they dont ride gixxers!!! they like hondas and yamahas......o well..we're not all perfect!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.