Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys know about the stick-on/rivet-on badges?......

Got a full Micron system on at the mo, which happens to be illegal and wandering whether any of you guys knew about the badges - any good? Waste of time? What's the score,

Any help appreciated as slowly bringing the bike to the "right" side of the law..... The 1*8 number plate had to go!!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I thought about gettin one too (loads on ebay - search for exhaust legal.

The my mate who's a copper told me that if you get pulled with a dodgy can you'll get a tickin off and told to change it back to a standard one. you'll probably get some sort of notice you have to take it to a MOT centre for rechecking and thats it.

If, however you get pulled with a dodgy can but have fitted a dodgy label to it, you'll be reamed good and proper for some sort of technical infringmant I cant quite remember what he called it.

so for me I'll run with the dodgy can and change it if I get pulled rather than have the book thrown at me for perverting the course of justice ?

·
Registered
539 Posts
According to a report in the Weekly Comic the law is about to get a lot tougher on noisy cans,I think their days are numbered

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys..... Yeah, heard that noisy cans are enemy number 1 at the mo. Pain in the arse as the bike didn't come with a standard can and am skint! Talking to a mate who said to get it through MOT could stuff some wadding into it, as homemade baffels, to reduce the noise - know anyone who's tried this?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks guys..... Yeah, heard that noisy cans are enemy number 1 at the mo. Pain in the arse as the bike didn't come with a standard can and am skint! Talking to a mate who said to get it through MOT could stuff some wadding into it, as homemade baffels, to reduce the noise - know anyone who's tried this?
might make it quieter but wont pass an MOT as it wont have the appropriate E marking

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bollocks! I think is the word I am looking for... So is it best for me to try and pick up a cheap street legal can then or one from a breakers.... Or I suppose spend the money and get a decent legal one!!!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
they sell those rivet on badges at the NEC and Ally Pally. funny cuz the plod walks around those shows. If you get pulled over by an ignorant copper, you'll be alright, but they can charge you extra if they know your akrapovic straight pipe isn't REALLY road legal...it's up to you! Just don't get caught!

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
they sell those rivet on badges at the NEC and Ally Pally. funny cuz the plod walks around those shows.

thats just probably like a lot of things, its not illegal to sell them but it is to use them on the road

·
Registered
325 Posts
For MOT purposes, as long as the can doesnt say 'not for road use' you'll be ok as long as its not excessively loud, as its down to the MOT mans discretion. As for the law, some plod dont know their ass from their elbow when it comes to bikes, but other's will give you a Vehicle Rectification Notice, which means you gotta take it to an MOT place with your passable can fitted, get it stamped and send it off within 2 weeks. And some say nothing at all :) or I spose you could prolly get an asbo for a loud can these days lol...

·
Registered
65 Posts
wrekin wanderer said:

Mate depends on where you are in the country but I know a certain MOT station (won't name them) that'll pass a bike with an illegal can. Best thing to do is phone up a few SMALL garages and ask them if you have to change your can back to standard and tell them you have the orriginal but you can't be arsed. If they say yes then just cancel the test and keep doing that till you find one that say's ok don't bother. Even try these garges out in the middle of no where cos 9 times out of 10 they need the cash!!!!

Happy hunting.;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
You do not need a badge, just cover the not for road use. If it is not visible the plod as ya call them can't remove the tape.

In Ireland, the republic, there are no laws regarding the road / race status of a pipe , only noise pollution.

So when we travel up to Northern Ireland (the UK laws for bikes are enforced) so I just cover up the not for road use bit with that heat resistance foil gaffer tape and never have had a problem. Even when stopped :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts