Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning i went on a ride and felt my 2012 gsxr 600 wasn't accelerating properly once i got around 85mph (i couldn't feel power when i turned the throttle). Then i heard a very loud rattling noise caused by the engine vibration so i pulled off to the side of the road to find oil spewing out of the bottom of the bike. A friend helped me get the bike back home so i took off the fairings on the left side in hopes to find the source of the rattling sound. I found it (pictures below) but i have no idea what this piece is or it's functionality. After adding a bit of oil and swapping the filter, i tried to turn the bike on again and now it's having trouble starting. When i pulled the broken pieces i tried looking up the numbers on them but had no luck.
Any way that someone could shed light on what this piece is/what my next move should be?

Thank you in advance, hope my pictures help out a bit

Attachments

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
It looks like the conrod on the left cylinder failed, separated and ejected through the cylinder head, punching a hole on its way out. Others with more experience in this area will tell you more about your options, but I'm afraid your best bet will likely be a new engine. In the meantime, don't try to run it any more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the conrod on the left cylinder failed, separated and ejected through the cylinder head, punching a hole on its way out. Others with more experience in this area will tell you more about your options, but I'm afraid your best bet will likely be a new engine. In the meantime, don't try to run it any more.
Damn. That is very tragic information to read lol but thank you for your help partner! It's greatly appreciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, threw a rod on the down stroke of look like cylinder 1 piston. That damage looks rough as hell, how may miles on the bike and was the oil in it serviced regularly? Also, has the bikes valves ever been checked for clearance and shimmed accordingly? Hate to see that kind of damage and if bike was a 2012 then it wasn't old and gsxr motors are normally tough. Time for a new/used motor more than likely cause with that amount of damage to the case a rebuild would be $$$$$. Goodluck man

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, threw a rod on the down stroke of look like cylinder 1 piston. That damage looks rough as hell, how may miles on the bike and was the oil in it serviced regularly? Also, has the bikes valves ever been checked for clearance and shimmed accordingly? Hate to see that kind of damage and if bike was a 2012 then it wasn't old and gsxr motors are normally tough. Time for a new/used motor more than likely cause with that amount of damage to the case a rebuild would be $$$$$. Goodluck man
I'm the second owner of the bike - she had around 11,000 miles - i only put around 2k on it and changed the oil every 500 miles. I don't know if the valves were ever checked for clearance either. As i mentioned in a previous response, the bike was sitting for close to 3 months after an accident and i didn't think to change the oil before after getting her back from the shop. An important/expensive lesson for me to learn i guess

Thank you for the response brother

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only 11K so valve clearances should been still in spec and mileage shouldn't been the root cause. I would see what the shop said about it cause if they serviced/repaired it after the wreck they may have jacked something up. Those 2019 GSX-R600 or 750 look mighty nice, lol and year end prices. 😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only 11K so valve clearances should been still in spec and mileage shouldn't been the root cause. I would see what the shop said about it cause if they serviced/repaired it after the wreck they may have jacked something up. Those 2019 GSX-R600 or 750 look mighty nice, lol and year end prices. 😁
accident wasn't even that bad - i was cut off while lane splitting (in california) and i kissed this lady's bumper going maybe 15-20. The shop replaced fairings, footrest, clutch lever... all cosmetic stuff - who knows! hahah i just might have to see these deals!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I understand that the accident repairs didn't include any engine cover replacement?
As soon as I read that it had been repaired, I began to suspect a damaged crank / bearing , but the fall would have had to have been pretty hard to cause that. At least they would have had to replace the stator cover,
If the list of repairs you quoted is the full list of stuff done, then I wouldn't think that the repair shop had anything to do with it.
But I do wonder if the bike went down on the right side, did the left side suffer from some oil starvation before it shut off?
Bad luck is probably the real root cause though. That is properly mashed.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
This is all (rather uninformed) speculation, as it's based on a couple of photos and I'm far from an expert to begin with, but it looks to me like the root cause might have been due to failure of the bolts holding the two halves of the big end of the conrod together. Maybe they weren't tightened properly and came loose after 11k mile's worth of vibrations, but given the relatively clean interface between the rod cap and the big end and the fact that the rod cap is still in one piece, it seems that it separated simply because it came loose. The deformation on one side of one of the bolt holes on the rod cap, suggestive of a bolt having been yanked out obliquely, seems to agree also.

The lower part of the big end of the conrod has fractured, but I expect this to be secondary damage, caused after the initial failure. If the big end had fractured first, I'd expect the bolts to be still in place, at least on one of the sides. Finally, I can imagine oil starvation causing failure of the bearing surface, but not fracture of the conrod, at least not that sudden. I'd expect noticeable rod knock first, and I'd also expect severe scuffing and probably also heat tint on the bearing surfaces, none of which is evident.

All in all, this sucks and you have my sympathy, but for what it's worth, unless you somehow severely mistreated the engine, I doubt it was caused by anything you did or didn't do, such as not frequent enough oil changes or other negligence in maintenance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts