Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help - Need Info \'91 GSX-R1100

Well let me start off by saying I know little to nothing about these new bikes and their terminology. It is a new world for me. But anyway, I just "inherited" a '91 gsx-r1100. I know nothing about the history of the bike, except it is paid for. I haven't picked it up yet, it is still in my home state. And the question is that a family member(he knows alittle more about bikes, but not by much) has ridden it and he says the bike has been "kited" out, because he is able to change gears without pulling the clutch. But to me that sounds like "clutch" slippage or something else.

Can anybody shed a little knowledge on this issue?

cejac63

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Re: Please Help - Need Info \'91 GSX-R1100

Well... `91 is hardly "new" ...the guys I ride with tease me all the time about my "relic".

As for the transmission, that's not unusual at all. Most Japanese bikes of recent vintage can be upshifted with a smooth throttle-hand and no clutch... in fact, if you are really good at it you can downshift them that way too... but that's more difficult to master... either habit is a good way to potentially eventually ruin a good transmission.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

Fastcat's correct...in fact it's a good thing to practice as clutch cables will break and then you have to get home. I'ts happened twice in 20 years to me but then I'm unlucky.

As for the term "kited"...I've not heard that one...other than in reference to writing bad checks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks, for the answer/responses FastCat and Simon. Just to clarify, the I think the term "kited" meant the bike had a "jet kit" installed. Like I said even though it is a older bike('91), it's new to me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

"Jet-Kit" to a *real* old-timer would just be synonymous with saying "I bought some new carb needles and jets to tune out the shitty throttle-response and lean flat-spot that the EPA forces on us".

Really minor stuff and actually a noticeable improvement that will make the bike run cooler as well as make a little more power if it's tuned properly.

Are you going to keep this bike for yourself for any length of time? If so, there are some things about the OEM Mikuni's that you prolly oughtta know now (emulsion-tubes).

...no offense, but most people who sorta "inherit" bikes like this tend to keep `em long enough to scare themselves silly and then sell it... that's how I ended up with mine

Keep the oil changed and valves in-spec and it will go like the energizer bunny.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts

Yeah, you could inherit a LOT worse than that beast
Enjoy, get a shop manual and keep it for the long term !!!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

Kitted...the extra "t" makes it a proper word.

I ought to start enforcing grammar here...but some of our east coast members would have a problem...as they barely know the alphabet...no names

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the advice "FastCat" and grammar lesson
Simon(You "sound" like that guy on that show American Idol-Just kidding). You see I am an Analyst in my alternate life, you know the life that pays the bills, well anyway programmers are notorious for being bad at spelling. Let me see "kitted" , "By george, I think I've got it!".

By the way, I am going to keep this bike for as long as possible. As long as it is feasible. As you may have noticed, it's been awhile since I have been "in the game" so to speak, so I am going to take it slowly and safely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

By the way ignore this particular thread:
Need Help - Info '91 GSX-R1100

It is the same question, but I put it in a different forum by mistake.

Also "bcjohn" brought up another question, do you know where I can get a service manual .i.e internet site. It seems that I am having a hard time trying to find a Clymer manual for this particular model. I did locate a Haynes manual, no problem. But what I was wondering are the Clymer manuals overal better than the Haynes manuals or is there no real difference in detail, accuracy or instructions(Layman Friendly). Judging by some of the comments I have read on this forum and other forums, there seems to be preference for the Clymer.

Do you have any suggestions/information one way or another or is this a Non-Issue?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts

I would buy the factory suzuki manual if they still make it. I have one it and it has it ALL in it.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts

I think i have a 91 1100 manual ill check when i get home. They are about 80.00 from the dealer. Ill copy it and send it if thats the one i have.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

I have the entire OEM Suzuki service manual that covers `89 - `92 GSXR-1100's scanned and converted to .pdf format. I had sent it to someone from gixxer.com who had a ftp server but that ftp site seems to not exist anymore. I'd happily ftp this thing to anyone who wants it, but I don't have enough webspace to post it anywhere for download. The thing is ~52MB.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

take your time with it and enjoy
..............be careful even though it's old it is still fast, respect it until you have some experience on it
and then................open that damn throttle to the stop
and smile without ripping your cheeks open if you can .

Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

FastCat, you know I'm interested. Actually you can send it to my email address in my "user profile". I have enough space.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

FastCat, disregard that previous message. I will send you PM of an alternate email address. That will be handle a file of that size.

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts

fastcat(or anyone), can u please tell what weight&amount of fork oil comes stock in 90/1100, its time to change it
(13years old )got my $50 k&n jet kit today thanx to a board member.

[ 02-04-2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: 90blugixx ]

·
Registered
6,418 Posts

fastcat me me me send it to me next

[email protected]

thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts

Man...you guys just missed out on the OEM manual I sold on Ebay. I posted a link here to let everyone know.

Originally posted by gsxr12161216:
I would buy the factory suzuki manual if they still make it. I have one it and it has it ALL in it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

1 - 20 of 22 Posts