Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 gsx600f (katana). My chain broke recently and messed up my cover where the front sprocket is and my push rod for my clutch. I got the bike back today with all of that fixed. The bike runs fine, goes into gear, goes into neutral, but when I put it in gear the bike will not move. The engine bogs down like it has a load on it, but somewhere the power is being lost. I rolled the bike in gear holding the clutch, and in neutral.

Please help

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 gsx600f (katana). My chain broke recently and messed up my cover where the front sprocket is and my push rod for my clutch. I got the bike back today with all of that fixed. The bike runs fine, goes into gear, goes into neutral, but when I put it in gear the bike will not move. The engine bogs down like it has a load on it, but somewhere the power is being lost. I rolled the bike in gear holding the clutch, and in neutral.

Please help
Who fixed your bike for you?
If they repaired it and didnt even test ride it, take it back, let them do the job correctly.
If somehow you have some transmission damage shift fork related, let them do a thorough job and contact you.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I believe you would be better off asking on katriders.com which is a Katana dedicated site. I don't know how active it is however but you are not going to get many replies here as Katana inquiries never do, this is a GSXR site after all.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Are you sure its in first, and or neutral? It could be in a higher gear and needs to roll to go down to the lower gears. You generally cant shift from 1st to 6th without rolling the bike. If you were in 6th gear when the chain snapped, and only the cover broke, the chain and cover COULD be replaces without ever getting it back into 1st. You would likely have to roll the bike about 6 feet while kicking the shifter down to first gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who fixed your bike for you?
If they repaired it and didnt even test ride it, take it back, let them do the job correctly.
If somehow you have some transmission damage shift fork related, let them do a thorough job and contact you.
They told me about before I went to get my bike. They had already pissed me off though because it took them a little over a month to get what I requested to get done. I don't know much about transmissions, I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe you would be better off asking on katriders.com which is a Katana dedicated site. I don't know how active it is however but you are not going to get many replies here as Katana inquiries never do, this is a GSXR site after all.
Thanks, I didn't know about katriders.com. I will definitely check that out. I appreciate all of you for being helpful and not just completely bashing me for riding a katana.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure its in first, and or neutral? It could be in a higher gear and needs to roll to go down to the lower gears. You generally cant shift from 1st to 6th without rolling the bike. If you were in 6th gear when the chain snapped, and only the cover broke, the chain and cover COULD be replaces without ever getting it back into 1st. You would likely have to roll the bike about 6 feet while kicking the shifter down to first gear.
Nope, definitely in first, and definitely able to go in neutral just no light. I tried starting in second as well, still no movement at all and bogs motor.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I appreciate all of you for being helpful and not just completely bashing me for riding a katana.
Shit I rode a 97 Katana for almost 5 years. Bought it as a basket case / project bike and built it up to a beautiful machine. There's nothing wrong with Katanas as long as it isn't your expectations that you can make it run like a gsxr. They are wayyyy more comfortable too.

Did you take it to a shop or a back yard mechanic? Do you have any of your own tools? My first instinct would to say take it back to them and make them fix it. Unfortunately that's not always the best idea. If it took them a month to do when PAYING them, asking them to rework it for free would likely take just as long if not longer AND if they did fuck something up, it's probably best to avoid them anyway. You could pop the sprocket cover off and take a look. If it still has the center stand, put it in neutral and up on the stand, pull the cover and roll the wheel while you look at the front sprocket. Check for debris in it as well as look to see if it wobbles or there are any other indications that it is bent. Also, I believe neutral sensor is behind the sprocket cover ad well. Look for anything unhooked or cut. It's possible the chain snap severed the wire. And lastly a bit of a heads up, it's usually de-fucking-sgusting behind that cover. Take the time to clean it while it's off. Good luck, and let us know.

PS. I'm an active poster on katriders.com although it isn't dead, it's pretty slow so I only check back a couple times a week now.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
If you are able to push it in gear with the clutch engaged then 1 of several things are happening.
1-Worm drive clutch actuator on sprocket cover is mal/mis adjusted
2-Push rod is incorrect length.
3-Both 2&3 are present.
4-Free play adjusters (clutch perch and sprocket cover) are mis/mal adjusted.
5-1/2/4 are present.

Would help to know EXACTLY what was done/replaced here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
THE SRADIATOR
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing