Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely stock 750 and my plan is to only do track days for a while and probably race in the future. I know the bike will be much better than I am for a while so I am currently spending my time and money on safety gear (I have a Dainese suit coming and already have helmet, boots, gloves, and back and chest protection). It seems you almost have to get an exhaust in order to get race bodywork. I want the bodywork "just in case" of course, but would rather spend that exhaust money on braided brake lines (I don't like the feel of the stock ones, possibly spoilage from my old R1), a pitbull stand, foldable levers, frame sliders, and maybe a riding school. My thought is that at my track riding level, I don't need the bike to be any faster, but I could do with some training...
What do you think? Should I just suck it up and get the exhaust then plastics, or risk my stock plastics? Note: my wife is cool with the exhaust purchase, but if I do it and in a few months, I want to buy a trailer......:grrr
Also, any thoughts on adding to/subtracting from, my list of future purchases is welcome too
Thanks to all

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
A good theory on track is as follows:

1. Make the bike crash better. Bodywork, clipons, amd rearsets.
2. Make the bike stop better. Braided lines, good pads, and a good bleed job with high-quality DOT4 fluid.
3. Make the bike grip better. DOT race tires with tire warmers.
4. Give the bike more horsepower.

As you can see, don't bother with an exhaust, PCV, Bazzaz, whatever. More power won't make you faster, and most race bodywork will work with the stock exhaust.

Focus on becoming a better rider, that will make you and the bike faster than any part you can put on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Anthony!
I really appreciate all your input.
I'm going to check and see if Hotbodies works with my stock exhaust and order some frame sliders and clipons to go with my brake lines (which I will bleed and have good fluid put in as well). Rearsets will be coming after all that is done. I will keep you posted on how it progresses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updates:
I have been working as much overtime as I can get so I haven't been around a lot. The reason for the overtime...
I have Hotbodies plastics in my garage, swingarm spools waiting on my Pitbull stand which should be here in a week or so with my Woodcraft frame sliders. Folding brake levers are on order. I'm researching which rearsets and clipons right now. Leaning toward Woodcraft rearsets over Vortex, but haven't figured out which clipons yet. The braided lines and possibly new pads will come last just because I already know what brand, but have to figure out the length.
When it gets too cold to ride very often I'll bring the bike in the man cave.
After that.....Construction Begins :)

One more thank you to Anthony for the help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will. I already put new folding levers on, and have the pitbull stand set up. I'll post pics of these changes soon, I promise!

·
Registered
212 Posts
So whats the next purchase? Whats your gameplan here? If you look in the 2011+ 600/750 side of the forum you can see my build progress under the title Winter Upgrades Anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll go check later this evening on your build! I've got frame sliders and rear sets to put on once it gets too cold to ride. I'll post pics every step!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts