Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This of course is the way I do it. There may be other ways, but I know this works.

First in the pics below, you will see two fairings.1 side fairing, and a front fairing. These are off a 05 Honda CBR 600.

1. First thing you do is remove anything in the way of the crack, on these panels, I noticed they had foam on the inside, so I peeled them back, and taped them from getting in my way.

2. Grind away the paint around the crack using either a die grinder, or if you dont have tools....some 40 grit sand paper. Then you should also sand a V into the crack to allow the panel bond to flow into. (the inside doesnt really matter, its the outside you want to have a V channel)

After all the paint is removed CLEAN THE AREA as clean as possible, NO DUST, GREASE, or ANYTHING. Next mix up some panel bond.

If you buy the panel bond shown above, you will need an applicator gun, which I heard is VERY expensive. They may sell a smaller kit though.

After mixing the panel bond, apply it to the inside of th panel at least 1/8 inch thick, and if possible apply to the outside also. (you only want to fill in the crack only on the outside, dont build this too thick, or your wasting your time, you will have to sand it flat anyway.)

After you apply the Panel bond and wait 24 hours (unless you heat it with a spraybooth, or even a hair dryer for 25 minutes) Sand it flat (outside sections only) till its smooth. Next you will need to fill any pinholes, or craters left by the panel bond. Mix up some Metal glaze, or even bondo may work.

Apply the metal glaze and when thats hard, sand it with 180 grit paper, till smooth. Use a sanding block or something flat if possible.

After everything is smooth, you will need to prime the area. I would suggest a 2 part epoxy primer, but you will need a air compressor, spray gun, plus the primer, hardner, and thinner. Of course not everyone has this, and you may have to use regular spray paint primer, and paint....whatever it takes right?

If you have a 2 part primer, you can leave the 180 grit scratches, it will fill them, but if you use a spray can primer, I would suggest sanding the 180 grit scratches out with some 320 grit paper first. PRIME THE HELL OUT OF IT, and let it dry.

next of course would be painting. In this case, I had to repaint stripes of black and red wich involved ALOT of taping and painting. A pain in the ass, but I decided to save this person money, so I just repainted the stripes instead of getting a decal set. Its not recommended painting over decals, but when the shit costs over $400 per panel, its worth the risk.

I hope this can help some of you guys out with broken fairings. I would like to see us fix our shit instead of paying the dealership thier rip off prices for plastic.

By the way, here are the finished pics of the fairings.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
That is the way that I would do it, but instead of using 8115 I use the 5887 that is the flexible panel bond.

Scott

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Great work and info. I hope I don't have to use it, but good to know.

·
Professional Baby Maker
17,741 Posts
Mods need to sticky this post in the how-to section.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There's also stuff called Plastex which is apparently the best way to do plastic repairs. You can check it out at www.plastex.ca. Never used it myself but know a few who have - might be expensive, but for a really good fix (the nice thing is it can fill in missing parts perfectly) it's what I'd try.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
pretty good stuff..i have a friend that just put his zx6rr down... hm...wonder if we should take this approach instead of trying to get new plastics...

hm...........

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what are some of the things you do to keep the dust down in the room you're spraying in?

tom j.
Well, the room I spray in is a Downdraft Paint booth. When I bring the parts in there, they are already blown off and basically dust free. Then I use low air pressure, and a tack rag to pick up any remaining dirt particles that still might be lying on the fairings.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Another option is a steam humidifier in the room you are going to be painting in. Section it off with plastic if it's in the garage or something to make the area smaller and then humidify it with the steam. The steam should help take the dust particles out of the air and pull them down to the ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts