Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to decide what i want to do here.not sure if i want to go with thinner head gasket or have the head plained.if i get the thinner head gasket where can i get one and how much?and how much tthinner is it than stock?if i plain whats the most i can take off?please help me decide what to do i just want to get everything together before i take my motor apart.thanks

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would i be better of to get the yoshi thinner gasket or just take a layer out of a new stock one?and would i gain much in hp?sorry to be apain just want to know before i do something stupid.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can get a thinner head gasket from KWS Motorsports at www.kwsmotorsports.com. I think they sell them for $135.00 I am not sure how much thinner they are. I think you will find people here that will lean strongly one way or the other on this. I usually just mill the head or cylinders 20 thousands.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one of my concerns is once i mill the head do i have to have adjusteable cam sprockets since i have stock cams.or can i just put it back together just like normal and what would .020 do for compression ratio.and do i have to run run race gas dont really want to run race gas either.

·
Registered
295 Posts
you can just take 1 layer out of the stock one which would be about .10ths and that is the cheaper way to go and will net about 5hp. i usually mill the head and use the stock gasket. you will have to take the valves out before the milling and that is just time consuming nothing hard just make sure you put them back in the same spot and with the same shims. you will able to go 20ths max and you will still be able to run 93 octane.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why do you have to take the valves out don't they sit below the combustion chamber.when i take the valves out do i have to have them lapped back in since they moved fromthe original position.:confused

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry but what does ptv stand for?and should i get adjustable cam gears if i decide to have the head plained or do the thinner head gasket.and what would i have to have the cams degreed at?:confused

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
thecount said:
sorry but what does ptv stand for?and should i get adjustable cam gears if I
decide to have the head plained or do the thinner head gasket.and what would i have to have
the cams degreed at?

PTV is an abbreviation for Piston To Valve clearance. Something you should come to terms with
before embarking on this journey. It shouldn't be an issue if you keep the stock cams and put
them back properly.
Also you should mill the head instead of plaining it, unless it's a racing one made of wood.
Adjustable sprockets would be a waste on stock cams and not really needed for thinner head
gasket or milled head. Now is your opportunity to upgrade the cams.

You will get better results from a thinner head gasket, the reason is it reduces
the squish as well as a biger volume change, unlike milling the head. Milling the head by
0.01" might decrease the volume by 1cc = +0.5 compression point.
So for the best do both! Just pull the middle shim out of the stocker.
I wonder if a single shim gasket will seal? Hummm.
Yosh is around 0.014" and the stock ~0.026" (squished).

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
You won't loose power, it tightens the squish and increases compression. Machining the head will increase the compression only and not tighten the squish. Tightening the squish will give you a better power gain for the same compression gain as milling the head. Squish no less than 0.6mm and you will be safe with 20 thousandths off head too on stock cams. Never take any of this as gospel as clearances should always be checked. If you don't know what all this stuff means then search around the net and try to understand how to check all these things and also how to degree the cams. If you are still unsure its best left to those that know how. And 1 point of compression will not gain 10bhp. Sometimes raising compression looses power! Pump fuel will be fine too. One last thing to consider with using thinner gaskets such as yosh is that they cost more than twice a stock one so i would always favour machining, but the most important thing to remember here is you have to machine the block and not the head to do what a thinner head gasket does and that means stripping the engine bare.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
stam said:
Adjustable sprockets would be a waste on stock cams and not really needed for thinner head
Every SS motor ever made would disagree with this statement.....

That being said.....for a street motor...I would upgrade the cams.

and Tim....quit being logical and giving good advise...it goes against everything the internet stands for! :lol

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
stam said:

Every SS motor ever made would disagree with this statement.....

That being said.....for a street motor...I would upgrade the cams.

and Tim....quit being logical and giving good advise...it goes against everything the internet stands for! :lol
Okay it's not a waste for SS builders trying to get the most out of what the rules allow, for everyone else it's a waste.

Yes, definitely upgrade the cams. Thinner head gasket + milled head + valve job + Yosh/WEB cams = >25hp

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
:D Ain't that the truth

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.