Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up gents.. well I"m excited as hell, I"m heading to VIR on the 29th for my first track day.. and can't wait to catch the fever.. my question is this, I"m riding a 99 750, and I have Diablo's on them that are still fairly new, only about 500 miles on them, and I don't ride hard at all on the street, its too crazy on the roads here.. anyway,, what should I set the tire pressure at??? I"m hoping to have alot of fun, as well as possibly get my knee down for the first time..

should I set the front at 34, and the rear at 36??

who has experience with these tires???

thanks for the help

·
Registered
395 Posts
if you're riding to the track, set em higher to reduce wear along the way.
im not sure about the diablo's, but the coaches or people at tech inspection should know.

i'm definitely with on the opinion of the streets being too crazy. I had way too many close calls on the street, and felt like i was pushing hard. but i didn't get close to the lean angles I was riding on the track. don't even worry about 'getting the knee down'. it'll happen so effortlessly on the track, compared to trying to push it on the local twisties.

be safe & have fun....

your wallet will soon be hurting from trackdays, but it'll be all worth the near permanent grin across your face.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
For the track youll want to run a little lower air psi. front run a 31 and rear 29 or 30, but you might want to check with the pirelli rep there at the track.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info, I'm already having a hard time sleeping at night, cause we leave for VIR in two days.. I feel like a little kid at christmas.

is it safe to say that the lower the tire pressure, the better the grip???

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
to an extent, to low of pressure will overheat the tire.

the 31/ 29 info was what you want. give them 2 laps to warm up if you are not running warmers

have a blast
VIR is an awsome track

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually, Pirelli recommends slightly high pressures than most of the other manufactureres. I typically ran (F/B) 34/36 on the street, and 32/34 on the track. Never had a problem. The Dunlop guys typically run lower in the back, and down in the 32/30 (or even lower) range.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Actually, Pirelli recommends slightly high pressures than most of the other manufactureres. I typically ran (F/B) 34/36 on the street, and 32/34 on the track. Never had a problem. The Dunlop guys typically run lower in the back, and down in the 32/30 (or even lower) range.
Ding ding...we have a winner....also, read Pirelli's owners manual..

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
I"ll ask the tire reps there, what they think
thats the best thing ive read all day.
and i ve never heared of running pirellis that high

·
Registered
580 Posts
Do not run the regular diablo's under 30. Very bad, according to pirelli tech people. recomend 34/36 for the street. track between 31-33 front, and 32-35 rear. I'de start them at 32/34.
remember to check your tires cold!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have Perilli Diablos and done track days with 32 on front and 34 on rear. Been leaned over far enouph for 20 minute sessions to shread the rubber on the fronts past the edge of the sidewall. (rubber titts on sidewall have melted globs of rubber stuck on them) I've power slid the rear end around while leanded over and the front still held solid. One thing about going lower in front with the pressure, below 30 when you brake hard, the tire actually ripples ahead of the contact patch, feels like a warped rotor. I increased the tire pressure to 32 and viola, the vibration on heavy braking disappeared.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have my first track day at VIR on August 29th.
I see the general consenses is about 34/36 street and about 32/34 track. Would you guys agree with this?

I am a little worried about how much I am going to use the tires before then. I like to ride the twisties on the weekends. Is there a certain amount of miles I should have in mind not to exceed before I go in August? I just want to make sure I have enough grip when I get there.

With one, maybe two track days, what kind of milage can I expect from these tires?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
you are fine on the street and i think your track temp is high. find the pirelli trackside vendor and ask him. if you dont think one will be there pm me and ill send you a number for one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts