Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think af this pipe? It is a Hinle(obviously) 4-2-1 nickle plated pipe and polished aluminum can. I am told it is about a year old and has 6K on it.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/track/9252/gixxer/hindle1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/track/9252/gixxer/hindle2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/track/9252/gixxer/hindle3.jpg

Is it worth $260???

***God, I hate Geocities!
Just copy the text links into the address field and you should be able to see the pics, sorry.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hey bold. the pipe looks like its worth $260 to me. i have a stainless hindle on my bike and i love it! it makes awesome power!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's a nice pipe. I'm thinkin of gettin a Hindle. I heard the power increase is substantial. It's definitely worht 260$.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'd say that it's worth it... I paid about that amount for the Hindle on my bike, and I couldn't be happier with it. You *may* run into clearance probs with your oil-cooler and the header, but it's an easy fix. When I got my Hindle for my `89 1100, I installed the pipe and didn't make any jetting changes at all and it pulled 127HP at the rear wheel. I put a jet kit in it eventually and it helped a little, but that pipe worked amazingly well with the stock jetting and airbox.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Get a 4 into 1.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by oldgixxer:
Get a 4 into 1.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have read that 4-2-1 is the way to go to keep\increase the midrange grunt...

So I guess my question is why?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'm not an expert in this, but the way I understand it, the 4-2-1 gives better midrange results because the timing of the exhaust pulses is broken up by the additional collectors in between the 1&2 and 3&4 cyls, then again when the two pairs are joined. The converse of that is the 4-1 gives better top-end because all four cyls join at the same time... take a look at dyno charts, talk to people who own the different kinds of pipes and pick the one that suits what you want from your bike... You can see complete info about my Hindle 4-2-1 on my `89 1100 on my web page ...note that the sound files are gone, I ran out of webspace.
ANYway, take a look at the shape of the curve that I got out of the 4-2-1, not just the numbers... I suspect that when you look at 4-1 dyno charts you'll see a flatter middle, with a more drastic rise in the higher RPM's. The middle of the torque range is where I spend most of my time riding, so that's what I wanted for my bike. If you want the ultimate top-end numbers only, a 4-1 might give you better results. Personally, for a streetbike, I'd rather have a big fat bottom and middle than an extra 2-3HP up top where I'm rarely going to use it.

Oh yeah, and another thing... the 4-2-1 Hindle system allows me to change my oil filter and get to the oil-drain plug without removing the exhaust. Something else to think about since some systems interfere with drain-plug or filter, or both.

[ 05-20-2002, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input guys!

It really helped me make up my mind

1 - 8 of 8 Posts