Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been pumping up this product for a while and will have to come clean on this.
I recently purchased a "new" Pingel with a reserve for my bike,it fits the same as the non reserve one but the lever has to move 270 degrees compared to the 180 that the one without the reserve does. My problem is it leaks. I thought that I didn't tighten the hose clamps to the fuel lines enough or it's leaking from the adapter plate.
But no. It's leaking around the lever probably a bad o-ring. Has anyone else had this problem and have done a rebuild on the pingel? It's not a bad drip but the garage smells like fuel when closed overnight

Bobbychet

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Tho I never used a pingel, I've never felt the need to use one. Wasnt there a similar story a while back?

I have 40mm CV's, and my engine's got a 1216 kit. What Ive seen is that if the tank's got rust, it will ruin the stock petcock in no time.

Other than that the OE runs perfect on mine...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
that sucks bobby. have you been to the web site and looked around there for rebuild or and faqs? maybe they have some answers for you. hope this doesnt get you down from the Pingel!

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If its brand new, then it should be covered by Pingel's warranty???????

Anyhow, the pain in the ass with Pingel installation is wrapping the correct number of turns of teflon tape. The 'correct number' is determined by what it takes to have the lever pointing in the right direction when tight. I've used around 16 on mine (whew!) with no troubles, though the number of wraps did seem fucking excessive at first

Pingel spec'd the no reserve one for our bikes, so no ideas as to what/where will happen with the non-spec'd one. I would think that having the larger swing of lever might call for a fuckaround with the teflon.....harrumph!!

As to not seeing the need for a Pingel, if you've never had one, then you wouldn't know the difference. It is visible on a dyno chart when looking at the higher end of the rpm scale. The stocker can starve out with an OEM petcock, so with mods, you ARE starving out to some degree, whether realised or not.

Good luck to all!!

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't buy it direct from Pingel got it from a guy called Dynoman eithier off this site or e-bay,I'll wait for his response first before I start pointing fingers.I guess I'll just have to go back to the Pingel without the reserve that I was going to sell untill I get the other resolved.

Bobbychet

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Dynman guy said he'll have to talk to Pingel and see what they say. I pulled it off today and went back to the one with no reserve.

Bobbychet

·
Registered
109 Posts
okay i guess this is where i come in...i just put a pingel on andi just bought a oem off of voodoo. either way i have a problem... i dont know what the hell it is but since i put the pingel on ive been bogging out in first in the high rpms and in second and third slugs....my question is this.... will velocity stacks make this happen....its the only thing that i think can make this happen cuz it the only other thing ive done since the tune up....sorry to thread jack but im worried. ive never ever had this problem and i hope to correct it...ive since swit ched to the oem petcock and im still having the same problem...

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
I would say velocity stacks could cause that to happen. They are changing the air velocity, thus changing the amount of air into the carbs that would require a change in the fuel delivery.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Do you have any K&Ns or something like them on the end of the stacks, or are they all by themselves??? They will bog quite badly on their own.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news! Pingel says if it's less than 2 yrs new they'll replace the seals for free!
Bobbychet

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
sound like a winner Bobby. hope that this fixes it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
thats good. cause you dont want the garage up in smoke, with the rest of the house.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i used to have the vance and hines chrome filters....but some fucking asshole stole them....so i went the cheapest route...stacks. so basically i have to buy new filters for them then?....next question would be where the hell to find dual chrome filters....i couldnt find them anywhere...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am new to this site,but not to your Pingel problem. Your problem can be quite common & yes it's the o-ring on the selector shaft that's leaking. It is repairable though. As for your need for the Pingel valve,maybe if your running squeeze or a turbo. Definately not necessary for anything less. I ran a 1180 '93 motor at Willow Spring's in Mojave Ca.,you know high desert,that made 173 hp at trackside Dynojet dyno. It had the stock fuel petcock on board at all times! As to previous question about cutting out at high rpm's & only being eqquipped with v-stack's,yes you probably need to re-jet carburetor's to correct for lack of fuel. It's lean & a jet kit may not be enough,stage 3 or otherwise. Take the bike to a shop with a dyno to help you tune this problem out. At minimum to a shop with an experienced tuner present that will identify if it's rich or lean. Yes a rich condition can cause this problem as well. When bike is tuned properly it will run great with stock fuel valve OR a Pingel valve. You do not need to have air filters present for it to run properly if you correct for that condition. Most race machinery isn't equipped with an air filter,at least until pressurized air boxes came along.That is a seperate issue though. I hope this info. is helpful to you.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pingel site was cool just said if less than 2 yrs old send her in for replacement My old pingel works fine,just doesn't have a reserve. I'd definitely run filter unless at a track I also run inline fuel filters to keep debris out of those Keihins.
Bobbychet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts