Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 4.5x17 rear rim (from bigdubya) and I want to put a 170-60-17 tire on it but I would like to see pics of this size tire mounted on this rim to make sure the profile is not distorted and I end up with wasted rubber on the edges (I put a 160-60-18 on the old rim and it wasnt pretty) Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
That's what happened on my bike the guy who had it before I did. He put a brand new tire on..Too wide, it had worn down the caliper arm and the tire edge..

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I can go snap some pics if you *really* hafta see... but I can tell ya that on the 4.5" wheel, the OEM size is 160x60x17 and I've got that size dragon evo on mine and it's got rubber on the edges that Nicky Hayden could never get to. I think this is dependent on the specific tire as well as just the size... sizes aren't exactly the same between manufacturers and of course the optimum profiles will be different. Most manufacturers list the wheel widths that are best for each of their tires. ...on the other hand, if you've already got the 170 size tire on-hand and it fits with no clearance probs, I don't see a good reason not to use the thing... it *will* change your gearing slightly unless the profile is lower to make up for the wider width (ie 160x60x17 is the same height as a 170x50x17 and the 170x60x17 will give you slightly taller gearing).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would really appreciate some pics Fastcat if it's not too much trouble...thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You asked for it, you got it. Please note that these pics are hosted on gixxer.com's free webspace, and you *might* have to open up my main page at http://fastcat.gixxer.com and *then* cut-n-paste the URLs to see the pics... sometimes it works right and sometimes not (shrug) ANYway, I snapped a coupla pics of the front to show the way a tire *should* fit (IMO):

...and these are the pics of the rear:

...the rear clears everything just fine, and I could *probably* get away with a 170 in there, but the 160 is *really* close to the brake arm and the tread is curved past the point where any sane person would use on the street. Those are Pirelli Dragon EVO's... other tires may fit a little differently.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I agree with FastCat...........the 160/60 is fine and you don't need a 170 anyway.
My 160 is close to the torque arm and hugger I wouldn't go for a 170 because there is no problem with the 160 except it 'looks' a bit skinny.

Well I had to have my say anyway !

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Help me if i'm missing something but I have a 170-60-18 sportmax on it right now which is worn pretty bad, this is why I wanted to see pics of the right style...newer tire on this rim. anyways I have at least 3/4 inch clearance on each side of the tire between the torque arm and the chain< am I missing something here? I can send you pics if you would like clarification...thanks for the input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldnt find the pics fastcat, I spend too much time on the bike and not enough on the computer (and it's gonna stay that way:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts