Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Well it's been a little over 24 hours, and it's still coming out believe it or not. Here is a picture of how much come out today. And a picture after I wiped it up so we can check to see how much comes out by tomorrow. If you noticed there's already a couple of drops there.
And think about the fact, ( that I drained the oil for a hour and a half before I started with the rag.)
It would have been a lot more if I only drained it for 10 or 15 minutes.

Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
20200323_205618.jpg
20200323_205928.jpg

Captain Obvious ... because obviously it鈥檚 obvious
I got old crusty ass thick skin.
But I am just trying to help!!!
You're not helping anyone, though. In fact, your post is more of a risk because some newb may end up believe in the same fallacious idea that getting all the oil out is good. The only reason you MIGHT do this is because you found metal shavings in the oil, though at that point you should be tearing it apart.

I'd suggest you stop posting on this subject, because you clearly don't have an understanding on how an engine or the lubrication of an engine works. Removing the plugs has nothing to do with the risk to damaging the engine. And, fun fact: there is still oil in there. Remove that oil pan and you'd find more oil in there. Except, you still risk damaging your engine because you may now have bare surfaces that still need lubrication.

Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
You're not helping anyone, though. In fact, your post is more of a risk because some newb may end up believe in the same fallacious idea that getting all the oil out is good. The only reason you MIGHT do this is because you found metal shavings in the oil, though at that point you should be tearing it apart.

I'd suggest you stop posting on this subject, because you clearly don't have an understanding on how an engine or the lubrication of an engine works. Removing the plugs has nothing to do with the risk to damaging the engine. And, fun fact: there is still oil in there. Remove that oil pan and you'd find more oil in there. Except, you still risk damaging your engine because you may now have bare surfaces that still need lubrication.
Settle down already, jesus! Nothing happening here is going to help or hurt the engine, just relax, if Scooter wants to do it and post about it, then that鈥檚 his choice, it鈥檚 his time, his bike, and nothing in this thread is going to do anything to a newb but eat up their time. So chill out boys and girls, he will put oil back in the bike, imagine that an oil change where you put oil back into your bike, thus parts get covered and as he鈥檚 said like 5 times he cycles the motor to build oil pressure before starting. Just a heads up, a bike that has sat for 24 hours full of oil will have the same amount of oil in the heads as a bike that has sat for 24 hours with no oil in it. Catch my drift. So R E L A X people, everything will be alright, and Scooter I鈥檓 mildly entertained by your sick obsession, keep up the good work, and by good work I mean entertaining me in this time of lockdown. Cheers and beers folks.

Captain Obvious ... because obviously it鈥檚 obvious
Settle down already, jesus! Nothing happening here is going to help or hurt the engine, just relax, if Scooter wants to do it and post about it, then that鈥檚 his choice, it鈥檚 his time, his bike, and nothing in this thread is going to do anything to a newb but eat up their time. So chill out boys and girls, he will put oil back in the bike, imagine that an oil change where you put oil back into your bike, thus parts get covered and as he鈥檚 said like 5 times he cycles the motor to build oil pressure before starting. Just a heads up, a bike that has sat for 24 hours full of oil will have the same amount of oil in the heads as a bike that has sat for 24 hours with no oil in it. Catch my drift. So R E L A X people, everything will be alright, and Scooter I鈥檓 mildly entertained by your sick obsession, keep up the good work, and by good work I mean entertaining me in this time of lockdown. Cheers and beers folks.
This is a civilized discussion, you're the only one that needs to calm down: you're coming in with all caps and exclamation points. I'm simply giving warning.

Also, a bike that is full of oil and has sat for 24 hours will NOT have the same amount of oil as an empty one, because when the pan is full there is a certain point where the oil will no longer flow out of the passageways and mating surfaces due to the oil level preventing this. However, when the engine is completely empty, that is no longer the case because the oil is going to keep draining due to diffusion and gravity.

This basically comes down to the risk:reward ratio. The risk is that your camshaft bearings (and possibly other bearings) lose the oil they need to remain lubricated, which is not something that removing the plugs and turning it over will prevent.
The reward is you got a tiny bit more oil out. Which, when you look at it, really isn't worth it. And while doing it for 24 hours probably isn't going to be the worst, someone may push the envelope and do it longer because it sounds good and harm their engine. In reality, there's no real benefit to doing this. The tiny amount of residual oil that isn't changed in the quick drain is negligible to the 2.5+ quarts coming in. You're not going to get any more performance out of it, you're not protecting your engine any more, and you're increasing your risk of turning over the engine with partially-dry bearings.

Hence my post: he's claiming this may help people, and while it's interesting to see someone else do it, it's definitely not something people should do without knowing the risks. And it certainly won't help their engines. My post wouldn't be here if it was him just doing it: let the old men tinker and fool about, it's fun to see what you can do. I don't want to dissuade him from that. It's completely different that he's claiming it as help; it was how it was said/presented not what he was doing.

Anyway, I have given my two cents and future readers can make their own decisions, and so I am done with this post. I'm sure we'll see more long-term drainage posts and other oddities, hopefully bearing some words of caution. Carry on and have fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Well it's been about 24 hours, and the dirty oil is still coming out, but not quite as much. I think I almost have it drained. Maybe one more day? Lol

20200324_192325.jpg

And I did have a little bit of metal shavings on my drain plug magnet. But it was the first time I have ever seen any shavings on it. I don't think I will tear it down yet. I think it will run a little while longer. And the shavings are not the reason that I drain all this extra dirty oil. I just don't want it in my motor. And if it blows up when I start it, I will let you know!!!

20200323_220801.jpg

Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽

Registered
Right on scootertrash!
I let my 03 1000 drain over a weekend to get the dirty oil out. No, I wouldn鈥檛 bother doing the cooler, but that鈥檚 your thing.
mine has over a 150,000 miles on it . So to the ones that think it鈥檒l damage your engine by lettin it drain for a while, how many miles do you got?!
1400D4C0-D6AF-4DF9-A7F5-1E8111BC7248.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Rock on Jimmyboy,
Your bike sure looks a lot better than mine. Hope we get another 150,000.
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽馃弽

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Well guess what , it is still draining.
Think I will wipe it up and see if any more comes out tomorrow.
At least I got the second most miles.
( oh yeah, SECOND SUCKS 馃槬)
HAVE A GOOD ONE 馃弽馃弽馃弽
20200325_173333.jpg

Registered
Well guess what , it is still draining.
Think I will wipe it up and see if any more comes out tomorrow.
At least I got the second most miles.
( oh yeah, SECOND SUCKS 馃槬)
HAVE A GOOD ONE 馃弽馃弽馃弽
View attachment 570878
Nice scooter, keep draining bud! I also think there鈥檚 still oil in the engine and more so if ur using synthetic. I was working on my rc51, had her down a year, oil was still coming.

I go the extra mile oil change For my car, truck & motorcycles but not to the extent of how you鈥檙e doing it. I let her drain at least half day & if time permits 24hrs+, than get her off stand tilt bike. I would prime vehicles by filling oil filter as much As possible even if filter goes on sideways. I never start vehicle and let it continue to run, I start it & immediately shut down multiple times within span @10 minutes waiting after each. I do this weird procedure of mine to all my vehicles that haven鈥檛 been started everyday. I like your idea scooter, if you could drain all your dirty oil and replace it by priming & refilling hoses, parts u disconnected for the xtra mile oil change & it doesn鈥檛 hurt ur engine, why the fuk not. Especially if I can get 100,000 + out my gsxr!

I got some questions for you scooter.
1. What kind of engine oil & oil filter do you use, & mileage interval between?
2. What will be your new engine priming procedure AtoZ? 1 of the members suggested disconnecting your fuel injection pump fuse & u thought it was a good idea. So it sounds like u may be changing ur procedure.

That鈥檚 why forums are so valuable, even when the majority was against your oil change procedure u heard a suggestion that resonated from a member who was against ur idea. We could all learn from each other even when we don鈥檛 agree crazy shit!

One last thing scooter, I just wanted to thank you for making this post because I thought I was the only crazy person that wants All tht dirty oil out way engine. Cheers bud and God bless!

Registered
Right on scootertrash!
I let my 03 1000 drain over a weekend to get the dirty oil out. No, I wouldn鈥檛 bother doing the cooler, but that鈥檚 your thing.
mine has over a 150,000 miles on it . So to the ones that think it鈥檒l damage your engine by lettin it drain for a while, how many miles do you got?!
View attachment 570863
Jimmyboy, thats some good shit man! Nice bike, she鈥檚 beautiful! Got a question for ya. What kind of engine oil & filter do you use & intervals between? Thanks

Registered
100% agreed with everything u said DBK81. I don鈥檛 know why people have to go out of there way to let u know they don鈥檛 agree with u. Cheers & god bless!

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Hi Gsxrforumsquid,
The first oil change was at 600 miles. I used Bel ray exl 10 w 40 wt. A nonsenthedic oil. And a hiflo oil filter.
At 1,150 miles, I changed it, I used Amsoil 10 w 40 wt. Full synthetic and a Amsoil oil filter. The best you can buy, I think. (You should not put synthetic oil in a motor unless it is broken in, 2,000 miles or so. and if you have a oil leak, synthetic oil is so slick, it will probably leak worse.) I road it hard enough I figured it was broken in, so I changed it early.
My manual said oil change interval was 3,500 miles. AMSOIL says, if you use their oil and filter, you can double the manufacturer's oil change interval, I change mine at around 4 or 5 thousand miles.
I am changing the plugs, so I will build oil pressure, with the plugs out.
(It is easier on the starter.)
Next time I will just pull the fuel pump fuse. (I reckon a old dog can learn a new trick, thank you all.)
Have a good one, and God bless you and yours.馃弽馃弽馃弽

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Gsxrforumsquid,
The first oil change was at 600 miles. I used Bel ray exl 10 w 40 wt. A nonsenthedic oil. And a hiflo oil filter.
At 1,150 miles, I changed it, I used Amsoil 10 w 40 wt. Full synthetic and a Amsoil oil filter. The best you can buy, I think. (You should not put synthetic oil in a motor unless it is broken in, 2,000 miles or so. and if you have a oil leak, synthetic oil is so slick, it will probably leak worse.) I road it hard enough I figured it was broken in, so I changed it early.
My manual said oil change interval was 3,500 miles. AMSOIL says, if you use their oil and filter, you can double the manufacturer's oil change interval, I change mine at around 4 or 5 thousand miles.
I am changing the plugs, so I will build oil pressure, with the plugs out.
(It is easier on the starter.)
Next time I will just pull the fuel pump fuse. (I reckon a old dog can learn a new trick, thank you all.)
Have a good one, and God bless you and yours.馃弽馃弽馃弽

Registered
Jimmyboy, thats some good shit man! Nice bike, she鈥檚 beautiful! Got a question for ya. What kind of engine oil & filter do you use & intervals between? Thanks
ive used motel 5100 from the time I got her 4,400 miles. In the beginning I changed the oil every 1000 miles. I know probably too much, but I drag raced her a lot in street races馃榿
I use original oil filters.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Supposedly, the Amsoil oil filter is supposed to filter better. I really don't know, but they do cost about 3 times
As much. I have sold a lot of hiflo oil filters. I didn't like the name. But then I heard they were original manufacturer for BMW and Triumph.
that sounded pretty good to me. and they didn't retail but for $9 and didn't cost me but $4.40. The dealership used to charge me $13 to $17 a piece.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Well I think I've got the best of it???
(I give)馃
I cleaned and installed drain plug.
And I put 3 qts. of oil in it. The oil level was a bit over full.
I spun it over, for two or three seconds, four or five times and the oil level in the window did not go down.
So I loosened the oil filter, too bleed air out, spun it a couple times, and oil started coming out around the filter.
This is a picture of how much oil I lost bleeding the air out.
20200326_203126.jpg

I have had this happen to me two other time, once on GSXR doing this same thing but just three days and once on a Yamaha that I was just changing the oil on normally.
I spun it over, a few more times, and the oil level in the window went down most of the way. Here is a picture.
20200326_200925.jpg

Next, I will get it started, and see how much oil we have to add, and see how clean the oil is after it runs a few minutes.
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽

Not the powers that be, not even close.
I knew a guy with a SRAD that used to start the engine with the oil drained and drain plug out to get that last little bits. I was shocked when I heard that and told him not to do it again, even for a few seconds. He stopped before he ever had any problems.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts