Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a picture of how much oil I drained out, after draining for a hour and a half. On my 05gsx1000.
20200319_183802.jpg

And a picture of the oil cooler, (notice, the oil cooler never gets drained when
changing the oil and filter. Unless you remove it and turn it upside down.
20200319_200949.jpg

Here is a picture of where, i use a piece of a rage, and push it in the drain hole, a couple of inches, it acts like a wick, to drain extra dirty oil out. I also let the air out of the back tire, because the drain plug is in the back of the engine.
20200319_200817.jpg

Next is a picture of, how much more dirty oil came out, and draining the oil cooler. (It has been about 24 hours since I started)
I will send another picture tomorrow, to see if any more comes out. ???
20200320_160753.jpg

Have a good one ???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not exactly, I have built a few engines, and I always spin them over with no spark plugs to build oil pressure, and get extra oil in the top.
(You should never start a newly rebuilt engine with out building oil pressure first, even if it was put together with plenty of assembly lube and oil. (That's my thought on it.)
And I don't believe you can drain all of the oil. I believe a coating of oil stays on everything. Too get all of the oil out, you would have to use a solvent. You are correct, it's hard on the engine to start it after a oil change. I have changed oil on a lot of bikes (and most of them make a little extra noise, until it gets oil pressure)
And when I do start it, I try to just bump it over a few times, and if it does start I turn it right off, until it gets oil pressure and gets quieter.
To check too see if it started pumping, look at the oil pressure light and if it has a oil level window, you will see the oil level go down.
(This is my thoughts on how I like to do the best job I can on my oil change. and it has been working for well over 100,000 thousand miles.)
Best wishes on yours ???

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think that's a terrible idea. It's not a fresh build with assembly lube and what not. If you're going to do that at least remove the fuel pump fuse so it can't start and crank it until it builds oil pressure (like you'd do with a rebuilt engine).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like your idea!!! I will try that next time, the plugs have almost 100,000,and I am going to change them, will build up oil pressure then.
Thank you ???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it has been about 24 more hours, and the level in the container has only went up about one eighth of a inch. I have the rag touching the side of the container, and you can still see the little river of oil coming down the container from the rag.
20200321_175534.jpg

Now I am going to move the container, to see if any more dirty oil comes out. I will send a picture tomorrow, to see if any more dirty oil comes out. ???

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,950 Posts
Yeah, this is a terrible idea. You're far more likely to destroy your engine doing this, because if you let all the oil drain out then some of the lubricated surfaces may be bone dry. And you cannot compare this to building an engine, because you use assembly lube when building an engine.

Even high performance guys don't do anything silly like this for a reason.

Reactions: what?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it has been about 24 more hours since I moved the dirty oil container.
So we can see how much more dirty oil came out. Here is a picture of how much dirty oil came out, and a picture with the oil wiped up.
I will check back tomorrow, to see how much more dirty oil comes out.
Have a good one ???
20200322_175103.jpg
20200322_175150.jpg

·
Administrator
15,408 Posts
Well it has been about 24 more hours since I moved the dirty oil container.
So we can see how much more dirty oil came out. Here is a picture of how much dirty oil came out, and a picture with the oil wiped up.
I will check back tomorrow, to see how much more dirty oil comes out.
Have a good one ??? View attachment 570824 View attachment 570825
Why are you this obsessed with removing every drop of oil in the bike? The amount of dirty oil left is minimal and mixes with the new oil. You're not helping your engine doing this. As long as you understand that.

Reactions: what?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just that guy.
I have lots of time, and it has worked pretty good so far. I have never done it quite this long but it is still coming out. ( not safe to ride now any way)
20200322_210206.jpg

Have a good one ???

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,408 Posts
I'm just that guy.
I have lots of time, and it has worked pretty good so far. I have never done it quite this long but it is still coming out. ( not safe to ride now any way) View attachment 570838
Have a good one ???
Most of us have lots of time now. You're not that guy. You're the only guy. I'd understand experimenting if there was potentially some useful information to gain. But there is none here to gain and is 100% pointless. It's your bike and my opinion but you're time could be better spent.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still think it's ok, to get all of the dirty oil out of the engine. I don't think I am hurting my engine. And I don't think the engine is bone dry, on the inside. And with over 120,000 miles on the motor, It's worked great so far.
(And I have been that guy a longtime, I can't help it, that's just me)
Have a good one ???

·
Registered
324 Posts
You'll never get all of it out unless you tear it down, some parts are designed to hold oil, like the valvetrain. Most of what you're getting is drippings from internal surfaces, not that much different to what would happen if the bike were parked for a while. The only thing that really doesn't make sense is draining the cooler, it will take a while for the system to build pressure and start actually pumping oil to where it is needed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct, it's impossible to get all of the dirty oil out, by just draining it. but I don't think it is bad to get all of it out that I can. I will have the plugs out to build oil pressure, I don't think it will hurt it, it never has.
I am just showing how I like to get all of the dirty oil out, that I can. Just in case anyone else would like to get more of the dirty oil out of theirs.
Have a good one ???

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Thanks for the information Scootertrash, I am beginning to understand you. You certainly have the thickest skin of anybody here.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts